I think I stole this 93G Cube

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night i paid someone to let me "steal" this piece from them.

93Gallon marine land 30x30x24 Cube
Comes with custom built (well custom on the inside) stand
30Gallon custom built acrylic sump
All the plumbing
Screen top
ATO stand/10 gallon jug
RO/DI unit that was used for about 6 mo.
Heaters
And return pump

Total price: $400

The tank was 6 mo. old and he quit because he filled it with over 5,000 in just SPS and killed his tank

Estamated total spent on the equipment above: $2500

Screenshot_2013-08-04-21-06-10.jpg
Screenshot_2013-08-06-08-25-41.jpg
Screenshot_2013-08-06-08-26-05.jpg
20130806_071737.jpg

Just wanted to show everyone im in the cube world and show off this STEAL of a deal :p

My next question on it... How would i clean this?

I was thinking of filling it to clean it and let her run for a couple weeks? Vinegar? Bleach? Just fresh water?

The sump is pretty messy and its going to need to be really scrubbed to get most of it off.

I know its acrylic so any thoughts on cleaning that?

Im going from a 29gal with hang on everything so go easy on me ;)

This is a biggggg step for this little reefer :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely use vinegar. It's never failed me, and you don't run any risk of leaving toxic chemicals (like you would with bleach). Great find!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely use vinegar. It's never failed me, and you don't run any risk of leaving toxic chemicals (like you would with bleach). Great find!

Thanks! and yea i was thinking vinegar... what is the ratio for water and vinegar? Can my pumps run with it? I figured if i can clean the plumbing and pumps at the same time, why not?

Great buy! Build thread time :)

A very slow build thread lol but yes. The fact that this monster is even in my house is a god send... The setup price without filling it is the least of my worries lol

LittleBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a steal!!!! I spent thousands on setting up my marineland 93g. You picked yours up for chump change! Congrats!!

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Find!! When do you plan on setting this beast up? Look forward to Future updates!!

G2theRam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a gallon of vinegar at most stores. Mine al had a higher concentrate that was labeled cleaning vinegar. I just sloshed it on the insides of my tanks then used a towel to scrub it down. Afterwards I hosed it out real good until far beyond the smell of vinegar. There shouldn't be a need to run a cleaning solution for weeks or even days for that mater. Unless you really want your house to smell of a pickling warehouse

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Im moving out into an appt. hopefully in nov so im not going to play with it too much... My plan is to get everything i need for the appartment first then play with the tank. I still need little things for it like a skimmer, some filter socks, fuge light, timers. Etc... But for the time being, its going to be cleaned as best i can. Im not too sure how to clean these though. My thought was to set it up, fill it with a mix of 4 part water, 1 part vinager, and let it run for a few days to really clean it up, then drain her out, scrub it down best i can, fill it up with 100% fresh water, let it run for a couple weeks (hopefully evaporation will get rid of most the vinager) and then let her sit until the day we move.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think 1 to 4 or 1 to 3 (even better) would be good. Just know that you will likely still use some more vinegar when you scrub it. IME all you really need to do is wipe it down with pure vinegar, and you can soak the other pieces. It's probably not necessary to run it for days with a mixture, but if you want to do that, I wouldn't do any less than 1 to 4 ratio.

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 part water, 4 part vineger?

I may just run it for 24hrs then... I just need to play with the tank lol. If i cant stock it and set it up, cleaning is the next best thing

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, I was thinking the other way around if your planning to run it with that for a few days.

G2theRam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 part water, 4 part vineger?

I may just run it for 24hrs then... I just need to play with the tank lol. If i cant stock it and set it up, cleaning is the next best thing

To run it like this you're going to spend $30-$50 bucks just on vinegar. Use one gallon and some elbow grease. You will not get into trouble for having too high of concentrate. Just make sure that you rinse thoroughly once your done

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree... lots of vinegar. you dont "need" to run it, but that will clean out all the plumbing and the entire system. however, it does require you to set up the tank. get all the sand out, every grain. so you avoid any potential scratching while cleaning. a few grains of sand under your sponge...not a pretty sight.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To run it like this you're going to spend $30-$50 bucks just on vinegar. Use one gallon and some elbow grease. You will not get into trouble for having too high of concentrate. Just make sure that you rinse thoroughly once your done

i agree... lots of vinegar. you dont "need" to run it, but that will clean out all the plumbing and the entire system. however, it does require you to set up the tank. get all the sand out, every grain. so you avoid any potential scratching while cleaning. a few grains of sand under your sponge...not a pretty sight.

+1 to both of these comments. Like I said before, I'd just scrub the tank with a gallon of vinegar, and soak any other pieces for a little bit.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great deal for sure!

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the trick is to get rid of the sand lol.

I think im going to run it for a few days that way i know whats broken, what parts are starting to die, get the water moving a little in the tank and kill any bacteria that could be left over...

Plus like i said, i cant play with it until we move, so the more "excuses" to play with my new baby, the better lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now the trick is to get rid of the sand lol.

I think im going to run it for a few days that way i know whats broken, what parts are starting to die, get the water moving a little in the tank and kill any bacteria that could be left over...

Plus like i said, i cant play with it until we move, so the more "excuses" to play with my new baby, the better lol

Lol I understand that feeling. ;-)

G2theRam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the truth comes out lol. The whole point of this thread was really how to play with the new toy. I don't blame you on that aspect I'm not the most patient when I get a new toy

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the truth comes out lol. The whole point of this thread was really how to play with the new toy. I don't blame you on that aspect I'm not the most patient when I get a new toy

Lol i want to be able to explain to my girlfriend why im standing in the garadge with this tank, "cleaning it" will be my only acceptable answer lol

I think im going to get a few gallons of vinegar to toss in with the water and set it up tonight, let it run for 48 hrs, then empty in whipe it down

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i set the tank up yesterday. Filled her up! No leaks on the tank, no leaks from bulk heads, and no leaks from the sump. PHEW!

Heres some pics!
20130806_212053.jpg
20130806_212102.jpg

Now my issue is the sump....

This is how the owner before me set his sump up... (drawn in paint because pics are tough to see the setup)

current sump.jpg

Does this seem a little... off? The fuge has zero flow other than the very small over flow from the ballast.

Wouldnt you want to have the fuge where the pump is, and the pump where the fuge is? Then drill holes in the ballast separating the fuge and the chamber where the pump is?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back