Rob's Cube build

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still undecided on the tank itself, but will be 24x24 footprint. I'm VERY tempted to have it built by Reef Savvy and have requested and received a quote. Wasn't too bad on price either. I'm just having a hard time deciding on whether I want a 24x24x24, 24x24x20 or something shallow. I have my eye on two other rimless tanks, but one of which I'm almost ruled out completely due to how shallow it is.

So far I've started the stand build. I have it framed and the frame was painted with oilbased Kilz. I will be working on skinning it this weekend. I stopped by HD to check on trim. I didn't have a truck so I didn't buy anything. Apparently they don't have any trim I wanted to use to wrap around the top of the stand so I'm looking at sourcing it elsewhere and other ideas. In the meantime I will work on skinning it this weekend.

Also I placed the order for my custom sump. Synergy Reef Systems will be building this and so far Rick and his wife have been really great to work with. I look forward to the finished product. Sump will be 20.5 by 22 inches. In the meantime Here's a few pics of the stand before and after painting the frame. More to come as the build progresses...

unpainted.jpg

photo-1.jpg

tzsetzse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oVery nice. Looks like the stand will be quite robust!
As to your tank depth, I would think that it would depend on whether you want a deep sand bed, (like 3"-5"), a shallow bed, (1"-2") and of course, the type of lighting you plan on running.
400 watt MH's need to be at least 24" to 30" above the sand bed but compact fluorescents and LED's aren't as demanding.

Strangely, not many hobbyists consider the type of animals they want to keep when planning their systems. Deep water corals vs. shallow water specimens and the like. It all contributes to the overall scheme of things. I'm sure however, that regardless of what depth you finally settle upon, the finished product will be spectacular. Good job so far!

As for building it yourself? Working with silicon can be a pleasure OR a pain depending on your level of experience. I've always used black electrical tape to mask my seams and always kept a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol handy for "accidents" and cleanup. There is something to be said once everything is done, filled and you are kicked back and enjoying things when you can say, I built it myself!

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oVery nice. Looks like the stand will be quite robust!
As to your tank depth, I would think that it would depend on whether you want a deep sand bed, (like 3"-5"), a shallow bed, (1"-2") and of course, the type of lighting you plan on running.
400 watt MH's need to be at least 24" to 30" above the sand bed but compact fluorescents and LED's aren't as demanding.

Strangely, not many hobbyists consider the type of animals they want to keep when planning their systems. Deep water corals vs. shallow water specimens and the like. It all contributes to the overall scheme of things. I'm sure however, that regardless of what depth you finally settle upon, the finished product will be spectacular. Good job so far!

As for building it yourself? Working with silicon can be a pleasure OR a pain depending on your level of experience. I've always used black electrical tape to mask my seams and always kept a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol handy for "accidents" and cleanup. There is something to be said once everything is done, filled and you are kicked back and enjoying things when you can say, I built it myself!

I haven't decided on lighting yet either. It will depend on the depth of the tank. Also what corals are kept will also depend on this. If I go 20 or 24 inch I will more than likely do a mixed reef. LEDs have been known to morph some LPS which is another concern. I don't plan to build the tank myself. I have 2 tanks that are mass produced in mind and the other choice is a customer Reef Savvy. I like the idea of shallow tanks for the look down views. Also LEDs all depend on what brand you go with. If I go LED I'm considering using EcoTech Radion. Not all LED fixtures are dimmable and I don't want to cook my coral if I go with a shallow tank. The EcoTech I know is one of the fixtures that are dimmable. I'm also considering MH with a 20k radium bulb and may use a custom floating canopy with a couple of t5 actinics to supplement if I go that route, but not sure I want to deal with the possible heat issues and MH only if I go with 24" depth. I was thinking 250 watt if I go MH.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks great I will be following along on this build

Thanks. Not sure how slow this build will go, but I'm still working out details on trimming the stand once its skinned this weekend weather permitting. I plan to have the doors built, but the rest of the stand will be DIY. I'm planning to wrap the frame with some nice plywood I found and it will have 3 doors to make for easy access. I do plan to enclose the rear, but it will be vented. I'm planning to use a honey or golden oak stain and not sure if I will polycoat or 2 part coat the stain. I have a way to go before I get to that. Right now my priorities are getting the stand and sump built. Next month I plan to purchase some equipment and possibly the tank if I've decided by then. I'm thinking about going with another eheim pump, but thinking about trying out one of the compacts. Particularly the Compact 3000 or 5000. Will need to do some research on them otherwise it might be another Eheim 1260 or 1262. I've been fairly happy with the one on the current tank. I'm also highly considering a SWC 120 skimmer or something with a similar footprint. Not so sure about the Atman pumps though. Sump will have a fuge and all the bells and whistles. More info on that later. I'm thinking about PAR38 for lighting the fuge, but that may change. I'm leaning more towards LED for lighting to get out of having to purchase bulbs, but still not 100% sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some of the skinning done this weekend. Still need to cut the last door out on the last panel I got put on. Started raining and my buddy had to take off so I called it a day. Here's a few pics. Still need to go pick up some trim, but I think I'm going to relax next weekend. Maybe fill in some of the nail holes. I'll cut out the last door opening and work on trimming it once I've had a chance to run to Atlanta to pick up the trim. The main piece of trim isn't locally available so I'll have to drive to north side Atlanta to pick it up. Only place within an hour I've been able to find it. Few pics of what I got accomplished today.

first2skins.jpg

Its nice having friends that can help you with projects like this. Anyway not the best pic, but another with all 4 sides on after I got the stand home. More to come.

skinned.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking stand! Looking forward to seeing it all come together! :)

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments. Still a long way to go with the stand build. Requested another quote for custom tank. 24x24x20 smoked glass rear ghost overflow and bottom. See what they come back with. Also asked for shipping quote to nearest terminal and to door. Still undecided on lighting.

Camkha1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like it would be a really nice tank. The quote may take a while. I requested one right after MACNA and they still haven't responded. I hear they've been quite busy since MACNA.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start to an awesome build Rob. The stand looks sweet!

Thanks man. Do you recommend putting your sumps on foam in the cabinet for cushion? I have 1/2" hardwood plywood in the floor of the cabinet and its center braced, just wondered if I should use foam under it.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like it would be a really nice tank. The quote may take a while. I requested one right after MACNA and they still haven't responded. I hear they've been quite busy since MACNA.

I'm in no rush. I know it would be worth the wait. I asked for one before MACNA and it still took a while. I also forgot to mention that the quote included low iron glass on 3 sides. But at the time I was thinking of driving down to pick it up. Still might go shallow but will be max of 20" so just looking for ball park with ghost options and shipping/crating.

Reefermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 400 w halide 18" off the surface and can grow sps on the sand bed of a 40 x36 x22 with no issue it all about the reflector. i also have no temp issues to speak but dont have a heater eitherl

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 400 w halide 18" off the surface and can grow sps on the sand bed of a 40 x36 x22 with no issue it all about the reflector. i also have no temp issues to speak but dont have a heater eitherl

Yeah, but if I do MH I wouldn't need that kind of light on the sand bed. The quote for the custom was only 20" high. Didnt want to do 3/4" glass. I have some LPS and zoas/paly that will be transfered.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about how to mount equipment without a birds nest of cables and i'm thinking about doing a small equipment board for the controller and dosing pumps on the back wall. My sump will have two part and top off containers built in which gives me some dead space to work with. I think i might create a duct behind the board and vent thru the rear of the stand with too 120 mm Pc fans. Still thinking on it and need to measure equipment to see if this design will work. What i was thinking is to cut a couple of slots to allow air thru and let the fans do the work of pulling air out. More on this later

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came up with a better idea for equipment. I think I'm going to attach a raised panel to the side doors both if needed and mount the equipment there except the pumps for dosing and top off. Depending on lighting choice I'll mount the transformer and the 3 pumps on the back wall of the stand or maybe the transformer upside down under the tank. I'll use some flexible wiring loom or something to keep the wires neat inside the stand up to the panel on the door(s). I'll draw up a picture later to share when I get a chance. I think mounting to the inside of the door(s) would give best access without clutter and still be fairly presentable and easy for removing equipment for maintenance.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back