My 60g Nem cube build thread

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought it was about time to start the build thread on my new anemone tank. My plan for this is very simple just a boat load of Colorado Sunbursts with 1 possibly 2 pair of fancy clowns. At this time I'm not sure if I'm going to put anything else in it.

Anyone have have any suggestions for fish or anything else that might play well?

Here's the setup:

Marineland 2'x2'x2' 60g reef ready cube
Bubble King 160 skimmer
2 MP10s with foam covers or a Tunze nano wave box. (haven't decided yet)
20 gal DIY glass sump with single baffle.
Eheim in sump return
Reef Keeper Elite controller with all the goodies
Elos Osmocontroller ATO
Spectrapure Dual Media reactor
Custom built stand and hood

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

The tank
The base shown here got scrapped its not the base that will be used.

Skimmer, sump and return

Radion Pro

I went to see the progress on the stand and canopy yesterday and pick out the stain color. It should be done in a couple weeks or so. Just needs some sanding and finish. My buddy that building it for me used some killer hinges and touch latches on this thing so every door and seem have sleek perfect lines. I am so thrilled with the work he has done so far I cant wait for it to be finished.

This spot between the sofa and chair where the painting currently is will be this tanks new home. Hopefully Ill have some more updates in a week or two.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow I'm excited about this one!

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that stand looks awesome. Will need to show off all the in's and out's of it when you get it home. And where did you find a BK mini 160 used? I've been searching everywhere for one. Anyways, subscribed and can't wait to see this thing come along.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that stand looks awesome. Will need to show off all the in's and out's of it when you get it home. And where did you find a BK mini 160 used? I've been searching everywhere for one. Anyways, subscribed and can't wait to see this thing come along.

I found it locally when I went to buy a BRS reactor for my other build from a fellow hobbiest he just had it sitting there and I offered to buy it, he was happy to oblige. :) I ran it temporarily on my old tank. Just to see how it performed. I was really impressed! I probably won't need it for a nem tank so much but maybe I'll just run 12 hours a day or something.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked 50 pounds of live rock and 40 pounds of pink Fiji sand.
I used the sump for my unfinished 200 build to cycle the rock in until I get the the setup and ready to be aqua scraped.
I went a little overboard for the live rock as I even equipped the sump with an ato. Lol

This rock has been cycling for two months already I should have a very quick very cycle if I get one at all. The rock had no smell at all and some pieces were already very corraline encrusted.

so far it sounds like on on schedule to get the stand and canopy sometime next week. If so I took a 4 day day weekend next week to set everything up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress on the stand and canopy. I ordered all the plumbing from BRS today. With a little luck I'll be plumbing by this next weekend.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand and canopy were delivered tonight. Its really awesome and couldn't be happier with how it turned out. The attention to detail is incredible! The hardware and fit and finish of everything is just amazing. There a couple more trim pieces still needed along the back of the tank but that's it. Those will come later.

My buddy added a toe kick to the bottom which I think looks real nice and raises the whole stand and tank to the perfect viewing height. I do need a little step stool to reach all the way into the tank but have no problem reaching the far back bottom of the tank.

All the plumbing is ordered and hopefully will be here before the weekend so I can start plumbing. :)

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all my plumbing materials today. Hopefully I get the Sea Swirls tomorrow so I can have this thing running soon.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent most of the running all over town getting the rest of the supplies for my plumbing, stainless steel hardware, black vinyl for the back of the tank, and glass for my sump. I got one of my Sea Swirls in the mail today so at least I can get most of my plumbing done this weekend. The Sea Swirls are going to work perfectly, I'll have tons of random flow and I wont have to worry about any nems walking into a wave maker.

I started siliconing some of the glass baffles I had cut into place. The rest will go in in the morning.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had some more time to work on the tank today. I got the sump completed and leak tested. Luckily no leaks.

I made a PVC liner for under the stand to help protect the stand bottom as well as the floor underneath. I used PVC shower pan liner and industrial strength Weldon PVC glue to glue the corner together and seal them. To make the hard folds on the corners and edges I used a metal straight edge and a heat gun to heat the PVC liner till it was just starting to melt then sprayed the fold with with liquid nitrogen to freeze the fold and solidify the shape. The fit came out perfect.

I also got one side of the back of the tank covered with black vinyl but the second piece fell out of my hand while I was getting ready to spray it with windex and of course the two sticky sides fell together and the piece was ruined. Ill have to go back to the sign store tomorrow and get another piece.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got most of the plumbing done today but it took me forever but mostly because beveled both the inside and outside edges of each union. The out side edge helps to wick the glue between the two pieces instead up push it all to the end. The inside bevel is supposed to reduce drag but I doubt it really make a difference. Finally I sanded all the goings before gluing them.

I got both drains of my modified BeAnAnimal overflow completed and got started on the return but ran out of time today. Ill definitely complete the plumbing tomorrow except for the second Sea Swirl since that has not come yet. I put a gate valve between the two Sea Swirls one so I can run with just the one until the other comes and two so I can control the flow of the second Sea Swirl.

I should have another round of updates tomorrow night.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got allot done today!
I finished all the plumbing with the exception of the second Sea Swirl which still has yet to be delivered. Otherwise its ready for water so maybe just another day or so before I fill it.

I finished installing the hood fans and Radion power supply and built a sliding rail system for the Radion so I can easily slide it all the way to the back when I got my arms in the tank. I used some sort of adjustable curtain rods from Ace Hardware for the rails that are sort of shaped like a "C". I can slide the head of a screw up and down the channel but it wont fall out. Works really well. I used nylon washers with the screw so it glides really nice.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back