Jackson's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Jackson, just gorgeous:bigsmile: IMO it is very realistic of a reef:rockon: The colors, the growth and the fish show the thought, patience and planning that you have put into a beautiful display. Very, very well done!! Continued reefkeeping success to you!!:high5:

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonder what this equip change is

It's lighting related :) hehehe

Beautiful Jackson, just gorgeous:bigsmile: IMO it is very realistic of a reef:rockon: The colors, the growth and the fish show the thought, patience and planning that you have put into a beautiful display. Very, very well done!! Continued reefkeeping success to you!!:high5:

Thank you very much. I'm not sure on the patience part since this tank is only 9 months old haha :). Over the next few weeks/months I plan on reducing the amount of coral on my sandbed and remove a few SPS, keeping only the primo pieces. I think the overall look will be less cluttered. I'm not shooting for a super clean museum look, but I don't want to look like an SPS hoarder either :)

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your growth has been amazing!:smile: I'm anxious to see your lighting! The polyp extension on the SPS's is insane! How many fish do you have in the tank now? As I said previously, it's just a beautiful, colorful, natural looking reef!

Did you ever come up with a name for the blue with red corallites SPS? Jackson's Glory for it's red, white and blue colors?:usa:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your growth has been amazing!:smile: I'm anxious to see your lighting! The polyp extension on the SPS's is insane! How many fish do you have in the tank now? As I said previously, it's just a beautiful, colorful, natural looking reef!

Did you ever come up with a name for the blue with red corallites SPS? Jackson's Glory for it's red, white and blue colors?:usa:

Thanks. I have 24 fish in this tank. Growth has been very fast lately. I noticed something very interesting. When neighboring corals start growing close to one another, there is an extreme growth spurt until they touch. They are in a rush to kill each other :) I didn't name the coral but local guys have been calling it "jackson's special"
I'm kind of using that name to refer to it.
I have to spend a few hours taking DSLR photos but for now I have some cell phone pics taken over the last few days.

Here's the new light change. I was able to get a brand new Giesemann Spectra for a great deal. This fixture gives better spread than the Sfiligoi I was running on there, and IMO it's a better looking fixture. The T5's run brighter in this fixture as well.
IMG_0969 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

poor quality fts
IMG_0978 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

This coral has grown too large so I am not able to take top down shots of the entire piece using my looks down box. I now have to shut off all flow and take top downs the old fashioned way :)
Aug 29 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

The Red table and purple nana is showing deep colors
IMG_0950 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

New Aqua SD Rainbow Milli Frag
Aqua SD Aug 29 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Last edited:

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nice update there rich ... Jackson special is living up to it's name ...... Throw me on that waiting list lol

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very impressive. Where did you get the Giesemann Spectra from? what deal did you get? i am looking one for my new build too. thanks,

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nice update there rich ... Jackson special is living up to it's name ...... Throw me on that waiting list lol

Wow, very impressive. Where did you get the Giesemann Spectra from? what deal did you get? i am looking one for my new build too. thanks,

A LFS had a brand new one in storage. Thanks to LED's I paid less than half of retail price :)

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually pulled out the old nikon d40 (I really need to upgrade). I think these are better quality pics than then cell phone but getting the correct white balance is impossible. Most shots came out overly blue and some look dim. I dunno :tongue: The tank is exactly 10 months old today and I just wanted to log the progress.

My favorite Stag. Maricultured green/orange tip abrolhensis
DSC_0063 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

misc blasto
DSC_0061 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Android Monti
DSC_0059 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

ORA Ant Insignis
DSC_0035 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Tyree PM
DSC_0033 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Copps king Tut (the slowest grower in my reef)
DSC_0029 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

A few Zoa
DSC_0015 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

ORA Blue Iris
DSC_0014 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Atl Shades of Fall
DSC_0013 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Aussie highlighter grown from small frag (vivid rainbow in background)
DSC_0012 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the wonderful pictures! 24 fish is a lot!! What do you feed them and how often? Your tank does look like a mini reef with all the corals, fish and inverts! :thumb: What temperature do you keep the tank at and, what does the PO4 and NO3 run? Do you do weekly WC's?

Very nice light!! I'll soon be upgrading to a 180g and I may need to upgrade my lighting. I like MH's and T5's (old school here). It looks like you have added additional lights on the sides of the fixture or am I seeing things?! Jackson's Special is appropriately named:smile:

Sorry for all the questions but I'm in awe over your tank!!:faint:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks terri ann. I'm feeding 6-8 cubes of mysis daily, along with spirulina flakes, and various pellets. Sometimes I feed LRS Reef frenzy. The temp is running from 77-78. Po4 .04 No3 is 15ppm. The added lights strips are blue LED reefbrites. It give a nice pop to the spectrum. It's very noticeable even with the MH and T5 on.
The Jackson Special coral is growing at a good rate. I have 10 frags total so far that will be out and growing in other systems. It's pretty cool to think that one frag can supply hundreds of hobbyists in a couple of years :)

andreaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool design - with the thick boughs acro. I had placed on my last 1000 liters tank just as in the moth. fixed with cable ties and cement. looser very good build with you. top

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh so it was you that grabbed that light . I was wondering where it went when I went I to the city to go scoop it up! Great score and beautiful photos. Gotta come over one day we are all not busy .

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Your tanks always kicked butt rain or shine acros don't stop growing this one looks amazing alredy

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool design - with the thick boughs acro. I had placed on my last 1000 liters tank just as in the moth. fixed with cable ties and cement. looser very good build with you. top

Thank you. The base rocks are heavy fiji pieces with some holes which branches were wedged into. It's solid for the most part, but there are a few delicate areas :)

Ahhhh so it was you that grabbed that light . I was wondering where it went when I went I to the city to go scoop it up! Great score and beautiful photos. Gotta come over one day we are all not busy .

The second I saw that fixture in the photo I started driving there and called when I was on the way to hold it. No one had a chance :). This fixture puts out better spread than the sfiligoi. You're welcome to come over anytime. Might as well trade something if you come by :)

Very nice Your tanks always kicked butt rain or shine acros don't stop growing this one looks amazing alredy

Thanks H2O. Doing things a little different with this one. Running a much higher nutrient level and the results have been far better than my previous super clean systems.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information! It is amazing how a frag can grow to where we can share that precious coral with so many other enthusiasts! I'll continue to follow along! Thanks again!!!

mayo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Your reef is spectacular! A real credit to you! Your coral selection is amazing and your colours are insane. We just can't get our hands on those types of corals over here in the uk[emoji26]

Well done!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back