New to cube tanks, looking for some advice from those with experience

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to this site so first I'd like to say hi to all of you! I started my first reef tank about 10 years ago but have been out of the hobby for the past couple of years. While the basics seem to have stayed the same I was surprised to see how much the equipment has changed. I've ordered a 45 gallon rimless tank, 24x24x18, reef ready and I plan on running a sump. I plan to have some SPS, chalices, acans, blastos and probably some Zoa's. I think I have the lights figured out but that's about it. I'm looking for advice on things like the return pump size, properly sized skimmer, stand designs (it will be a custom stand from a furniture making friend), tank circulation etc. Anybody have any problems or issues that I should try to avoid? I appreciate and advice.

OP
OP
creas

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten a lot of views but no replies, maybe if I ask some more direct questions? Would a single MP10 be enough/too much flow in a 2 x 2 cube? What is a good skimmer for a moderately stocked 45 gallon tank? I see lots of skimmers for sale in a huge range of prices and I'm sure some are worth it and some aren't. What are you guys using? Can anyone recommend a good pre-made sump? In the past I've always made my own but this time around I'd like to buy a commercially available one.

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 30x30 I ran 2 mp10s. That was enough for my LPS tank but for SPS dominated you'd need an mp40 and an mp10 at least. I had some pieces in mine but they were in direct flow with my return.

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people recommend a skimmer that is fit for 2x the water capacity of your tank. So if you are running a 45g cube with a 30g sump, a skimmer rated for 150g would be a very safe bet.
As for the size of the stand, this should be based off of the viewing height you feel appropriate, while keeping in mind you'll have your hands in the bottom part quite a bit. Make sure the sump / skimmer fits and you have plenty of room down there.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/elite-aquatics/157614-*new*-cube-sumps.html

Elite aquatics makes a nice sump.

Photo Apr 06%2C 5 40 48 PM.jpg

here is the finished stand with tank on it in living room. Will be adding a shell on using french cleats to hold the pannels to the frame.
Here is the stand I made I used 80/20 quick frame and have added deron platsic under the aquarium and the bottom area where the sump is.
I am planning on using a side sided Riptide pump CoralVue | Maxspect Riptide Gyre Generator Aquarium Water Flow Device

OP
OP
creas

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 30x30 I ran 2 mp10s. That was enough for my LPS tank but for SPS dominated you'd need an mp40 and an mp10 at least. I had some pieces in mine but they were in direct flow with my return.

Thank you! How tall was your tank and was it bare bottom? If not, was there an issue with sand blowing around?

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom 24x24x20 cube made with 1/2" glass. I had to use an MP40 instead of 2 MP10s (original idea). I plan to stock mostly SPS when I cycle, but until I get some rock and see what the flow will really look like I won't know if I'll need another. The biggest problem with cubes is cabinet space. I'd carefully plan out equipment purchases and placement. Cubes are a little more of a challenge to build because of space. I'm running an Eheim 3000+ for my return. I'm guessing it's around 600+ gph minus headloss from around 790 gph. Skimmers... I'd recommend shopping around and doing searches for reviews and looking at the tanks of people that use them. I personally am going to use a Seaside Aquatics ES5 for my 50 gallon cube. The best advice I can offer is to go slow and do your homework before making purchases. By the time I cycle this tank I will have about a year of time invested. I'm currently leak testing and tweaking the tank controller and such, but I do plan to add a few more toys into the build before I cycle it in October. Also I built my stand and canopy myself. The sump and tank were custom built. I know there are a few sump vendors that are starting to sell off the shelf cube sumps. You may want to look into one of those or possibly a custom depending on what you are looking to invest.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon sump for my cube tank. Making it was real easy and it is great having a more water volume.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did. I had the help of a local reefer, but he had me do it to teach me and it was simple. I'll post a picture real quick

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406742410.335905.jpg

Both are 20 highs. One on left is the sump and the tank on right will be the fuge. Need to get more sand to fill the fuge. My tank is a 93 cube. It was going to be a 60 but I built my stand to fit that sump and I just had enough room for a 93 instead of a 60.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. I've been following your build and so far everything you did looks great. You went with a radion right?

OP
OP
creas

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406742410.335905.jpg

Both are 20 highs. One on left is the sump and the tank on right will be the fuge. Need to get more sand to fill the fuge. My tank is a 93 cube. It was going to be a 60 but I built my stand to fit that sump and I just had enough room for a 93 instead of a 60.

I like this set up a lot. The return pump feeds your refugium which gravity feeds back to the sump? Am I seeing that correctly?

OP
OP
creas

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom 24x24x20 cube made with 1/2" glass. I had to use an MP40 instead of 2 MP10s (original idea). I plan to stock mostly SPS when I cycle, but until I get some rock and see what the flow will really look like I won't know if I'll need another. The biggest problem with cubes is cabinet space. I'd carefully plan out equipment purchases and placement. Cubes are a little more of a challenge to build because of space. I'm running an Eheim 3000+ for my return. I'm guessing it's around 600+ gph minus headloss from around 790 gph. Skimmers... I'd recommend shopping around and doing searches for reviews and looking at the tanks of people that use them. I personally am going to use a Seaside Aquatics ES5 for my 50 gallon cube. The best advice I can offer is to go slow and do your homework before making purchases. By the time I cycle this tank I will have about a year of time invested. I'm currently leak testing and tweaking the tank controller and such, but I do plan to add a few more toys into the build before I cycle it in October. Also I built my stand and canopy myself. The sump and tank were custom built. I know there are a few sump vendors that are starting to sell off the shelf cube sumps. You may want to look into one of those or possibly a custom depending on what you are looking to invest.

I think I'll eventually end up with mostly SPS but that will be down the road a bit, so I'll probably try the MP40 and eventually see if i need to add another. Luckily I have a a friend with a high end woodworking shop and he makes furniture/kitchen cabinets for a living and has agreed to build me my stand so I can taylor it to my needs. I've made the mistake in the past of not adequately planning my equipment layout so this time everything will be planned out. The custom cube sumps looked really nice but are a but pricey, IMO. Thanks for the advice!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back