Newbie setting up a 60 gal deep blue rimless

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I had been looking at the 60 gal Deep Blue rimless cube for a bit now and decided to take the plunge and finally go down to my LFS Blue Fish Aquarium and grab it. They have some lovely furniture grade stands that I just couldnt pass up. I had a plan on just buying the tank and stand today...then grabbing a 20 gal marineland sump I found on craigslist sometime soon...and then slowly working on everything else. But if course..the best laid plans can still go wrong. As I was looking at the sumps they had...the owner Ryan, pointed out the Octopus Reef Skimmer that they had just gotten from another customer that was used. I nabbed that for a real nice price...and looked down and saw the perfect sump to go with it. He offered me a sleek discount on that also...and I walked out with my 3 month plan! So now...I have 3 of my big tickets items out of the way...I need to work on lights and circulation pumps. Eventually I'd like to end up with a nice mixed reef system. Thinking of going with the new Reef Radiance dm-165e and 2 Vortech wp-45. ...still loads to buy! I am open to ideas and suggestions that might save a bit of money so that I can get some water and rock inside before March. Thanks...and stay warm out there!

mps0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! Looks like you've done some homework before taking the plunge! Good for you! I've been doing this since I set up a 75g tank when I was 16 (circa '89). And through the years have seen various changes in the care of saltwater/reef aquaria. All I can say is read, read, read, and spend, spend, spend. Being An educated aquarist, will suit your own peace of mind, as well as your own bottom line($$$). It's an expensive hobby, but after reading your post it seems your on the right track! You'll find these bulletin boards are an invaluable source of info, and if you have an experienced LFS that specializes in reef/SW, then all the better! Good luck! Michael

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Michael! Of all the tings that have changed since you began...is there anything that has stayed constant for you? Such as....substrate preference...flow rate in tank etc... ? The advice on here from experienced keepers on other threads so far has been invaluable.

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping these come out the right way up...

Attachments

• 1416187621041.jpg
    1416187621041.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 595

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you're off to a good start! New tank builds are exciting; thanks for sharing yours with us.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! :thumb: Can't wait to see this thing get wet!

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey if your thinking on reef Radiance i have one for sale, its a RR pro 180

How old? How much are you looking to get for it? I'm for sure thinking RR... but the pro pricepoint was a bit discouraging. Also, I'm not well hearsed enough on if the pro lights are going to be too strong or whatnot. I haven't quite delved into the par ratings I'll be looking for in my tank, and lumen output from the lights. I was basically looking at what other people were using on their 60 cubes, and going from there based on what I eventually want in mine. Would be interested in the pro possibly if the price was right.

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I was at Petco today for sone dog food...and decided to peruse their saltwater section. I noticed a 24-36" fluval LED reef light. 25k lumens, 25 watts, 312...very tiny lights. My gut tells me, too expensive and not a good light ($179). Has anyone had any experience with them?

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt... Sure they'll grow mushrooms and soft corals but you will need to get a more powerful light for most lps and definately for sps... Best bang for your buck are reef radiance and evergrow units...

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.. so early Black Friday deals are awesome! Just placed my first order from BRS. Got a JBJ True Temp Titanium Heating System w/ Digital Controller... an Eheim 3000 pump (hoping it's decent and relatively quiet).. and a Hydor Koralia evolution 1500. I am hoping the 1500 will be enough, but I think it's possible I might need two, depending on what ends up in the aquarium.

I am looking to get my plumbing kit together this morning, before we head off for Thanksgiving dinner and am unsure if the pvc and fittings need to eventually be glued together. Do they? I'll get it temporarily piped in, and when my new toys arrive I will post more pictures.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. You are off to a great start. I am going to be making a large purchase today while the sales are on. I too am going to be building a 60 gallon cube. Just out of curiosity, what kind of stand is that? Do you know the inside dimensions? Thanks and best of luck.
Ed

Back