60 Cube Build!

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R! Also greetings Club Cube! I am excited to join the club with my first cube build! :becky:

After moving across the country to the Bay Area for a new job, I talked my first landlord into letting me have a 5 gallon freshwater tank after some intense negotiations. I really missed having fish as they are so relaxing to me. However, it was like pulling teeth to accomplish that. She was questioning my everything such as how many watts the tank used, how much water I would use a month, etc. It was ridiculous! I also missed having a reef tank. So I was able to move and find a place to let me actually have a tank! I can't believe how many places are so anti-pet friendly out here!

Long story short, I was able to pick up a real good deal on a Marineland 60 Gallon Rimless Cube tank and stand from a LFS. So now the build thread starts! The tank is 24" x 24" x 24".

This is my first true build where I am trying to really plan everything out after years of fish keeping experience and building some of my own parts. I hope it goes well! :biggrin1:

The first thing I needed to do was get rid of the overflow. I hated how much real estate it took up. Back East I had a friend try the XAQUA In-Out and I really liked it. I wanted to try it myself so I got one as well straight from the company in Italy. :biggrin1:

I also figured it would give the tank a great minimalist look with less equipment in the tank. After much debate watching videos on drilling tanks, I just couldn't risk doing it myself the first time. Maybe in the future on some cheap $1 per gallon tanks from Petco. Luckily, I found a local glass company that was able to drill the tank for me. I then siliconed a piece of glass over the bottom overflow holes to cover them up. It will disappear once I add sand to the tank.

Here is the difference with the overflow in and out. I got 1/9th of the tank back for aquascaping and the fish!

IMG_2930.jpg
IMG_2929.jpg

The next part I just finished was my sump out of 1/4" acrylic. I love that I know how to 3D model and then was able to get the pieces cut locally and had access to a laser cutter for some parts. I designed it where I can move a piece to adjust the water level for the skimmer compartment (I can move the water level from roughly 6-10"). I did add a wet-dry, which I know most people will disagree with. I really like how well they keep fish healthy (really keep my tanks ich free and reduce stress released by the fish) and just could not pass on having one. I basically built an Eshopps WD-100CS into my sump. However, I am using a humongous skimmer to hopefully counter act it. I picked up a great deal on an Eshopps S-200 snow cone skimmer. Here is the sump being built and finished with the skimmer in it. I still need to get more bio-balls (I have one gallon but this holds 3 gallons) and the return pump is on its way in the mail. I am going to use a Rio+ 2100 (694 gph). There is also a small compartment in it that can be a small refugarium to grow cheato and grow pods or hold fish that misbehave. I am looking forward to hopefully keeping a pair of Ruby Red Scooters again in my tank.

IMG_2934.jpg
IMG_2938.jpg

I just finished the gluing the sump tonight so I am going to let it cure and then test it with water in a few days! I hope it holds water!

My next step is I want to paint the inside of the stand with some water resistant paint. Off to Home Depot again for more parts!

Additionally, I need to save up and acquire some more parts. Below is what else I want to add to my tank in terms of equipment. I am going to try and do a mixed reef with some SPS at the top and LPS and Zoas toward the middle and bottom of the tank. Hopefully I can get it wet and cycling in January!

Kessil A-360W
Jebao WP-25 or RW-15 (I want to see how well the flow with XAQUA In-Out works first) It would be fun to try an MP-10 or MP-40 if I can find a good deal on one. Putting it on the back of the tank and being low profile would make the tank virtually have no equipment in it! :biggrin1:
Neptune Apex (Would love to try one of these out if I can save up for it.)
BRS RO/DI Unit
BRS Dual Carbon & GFO Reactor
BRS 1/4" DIY Net Top
2x 200W Heaters
I also need to develop some sort of ATO system. I maximized the sump for the stand and might need to build a small side stand to go with the tank. Not sure what to do yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading and I can't wait to see how this turns out! Looking forward to sharing this build and using the communities advice along the way! :biggrin1:

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. I just picked up my 60 cube yesterday and am going to build my own stand. What stand did you get with it. I didn't like the Ventura because it was too small on the inside.

OP
OP
bshowe

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing Madness Thanks!

Nice tank. I just picked up my 60 cube yesterday and am going to build my own stand. What stand did you get with it. I didn't like the Ventura because it was too small on the inside.

I did get the Ventura stand in black. I was browsing threads and wanted to do a stand where you pull off the skins with magnets. However, I have no real tools here and was afraid to build one. I just got a drill from Black Friday!

This is also my first rimless tank and I think some lfs here scared me. (They were probably full of themselves...) I almost bought a 60 gallon Mr.Aqua from them because it wasn't drilled and he talked about the glass cracking if not supported right. Then I found this other lfs that is a million times better, they hand pick their livestock from local wholesalers, they knocked a $100 off the combo, and I got the tank and stand for the price the other store wanted just for their Mr. Aqua tank. They also had the set-up I bought for twice the price at the other store. Thought the one store would be worth a chance because the corals were so nice and they give 20% off livestock for life if you buy a tank from them. I gave them the benefit of the doubt when they moved and had some ick with the new systems. Then I watched the ick stay for months and found they get livestock from Quality Marine. Never buying anything out of that store!

Anyways, I guess it was an impulse buy to get the set. I thought about returning the XAQUA and keeping the overflow for the warranty from Marineland because I rent and then I just hated the overflow so I ripped it out. Haha. Also drilled a hole in the stand for one of the return lines so that can't be returned.

I agree it is snug under the stand and I need another storage box or system for things like an ATO. Everything I designed fits perfectly in the stand and I can get to it pretty easily. Plus I thought the price I paid for the stand was cheaper then building one. My sump is 20" x 20" with two walls that are 23" high and two walls that are 16" high.

Do you think I should modify the stand? How do you support rimless glass tanks safely? Either way I need to build more storage. Maybe I try building a small box I can access easily that runs into the current stand. If I can get most the pieces pre-cut at Home Depot and then screw it together I could make it!

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand

Thanks for getting back to me. I just purchased my tank and it is sitting on my floor right now. I purchased all of my equipment yesterday to get the Black Friday Deals. The sump I bought is 20x20x16 high which would have no problem fitting in the Ventura stand. I was worried that if I had to get it out I couldn't because of the door width. Anyway, from what I understand, if the corners of the tank are supported well you should have no worries with glass cracking. I will post some pictures of my stand as I build it. I'm a little nervous, but I always live on the edge anyway. I did so much research before any purchases it isn't funny. I'm just not sure if I want to make the stand 36x36 so I can have a nice 6" edge all the way around or if I want to go a little smaller, maybe 30x27. Decisions, decisions!!

OP
OP
bshowe

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ravenjred Black Friday Deals are the best! what did you get? Do you have a build thread yet? As for the stand, personally I would love to see it as one seamless column! My sump takes up the whole underneath of the stand. You can slide it out the back if you moved the tank, but that is highly unlikely once filed with water and rocks. Haha. Is there a need to get the sump out once it is in? I am hoping I won't need to remove it!

The sump seams to hold water! Doing a water test as if the sump was overflowed with the maximum amount of water it can hold. Guess I leave the water in for 24hrs or so to test for leaks. So far bone dry on all the seams. I guess I did a great job for my first time gluing acrylic! :biggrin1:

IMG_2953.jpg

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment

I ordered a Trigger Systems 20x20 sump, a Reef Octopus 160-INT skimmer, a BRS RO/DI system, a refractometer, a Maxspect R420R LED light, an Eco-tech mp40ws powerhead, a Water Blaster HY-5000 return pump, Reef Crystals salt, a Tunze Osmolator ATO system, Rocks and sand from marcorocks.com. I think that's it, for now. Hopefully you won't have to remove the sump once it's in. That's why I want to build my own stand. I haven't started a build thread yet, but I will soon, once I start the stand.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making me think about getting rid of my 60cube overflow. How to you seal off the drain holes?

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a fan of the bio balls. but what are your plans for the tank?

OP
OP
bshowe

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making me think about getting rid of my 60cube overflow. How to you seal off the drain holes?

I got the glass shop to cut a small piece of glass ($10) the same thickness as the tank slightly bigger than the two holes. I then put a bead of aquarium silicone around the outside of each hole and then around the edge of the glass. Then I lightly set it on top and there is your seal! Make sure not to press it down real tightly. Not worried about looks because it will be covered with sand.

P.S. If you need help getting the XQUA and want one let me know. I have direct ties to the company in Italy since my father owns a lfs back east where I am from. I can beat any deal online since I am not that interested in making a lot of money. I could use a few extra dollars for this build since I already feel tapped out and I still need some equipment. Haha!

OP
OP
bshowe

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a fan of the bio balls. but what are your plans for the tank?

Yeah I know not everyone is. I guess I am old school and stuck in some of the methods my father taught me. I like it as a back up in case I push it with overstocking.

I am hoping to do a mixed reef. I would love to do a few easy SPS at the top and then mostly LPS and Zoas on the middle to bottom. I really like acans in terms of LPS.

As for livestock not totally sure yet but here is what I would like.
Pair of Frostbite Clowns eventually
Pair of Ruby Red Scooters (Once I have a good pod population)
Yellow Tail Blenny
Tailspot Blenny
Hectors Goby
Pair or Trio of Hi-Fin Banded Gobies
A Tang (Probably a Blue Hippo)
Cleaner and Fire Shrimp
Some sort of Firefish (Regular, Purple, or maybe Helfrichi)
Maybe a Potter's Angel

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go with a blue hippo tang. In fact I wouldn't recommend a tang at all in a 60 gallon cube.

OP
OP
bshowe

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go with a blue hippo tang. In fact I wouldn't recommend a tang at all in a 60 gallon cube.

Sorry, a tang is a 100% going in this tank. We can politely agree to disagree Longnose Hawkfish on this issue. You can call the Tang Police now if you want to arrest me. I don't believe in the crazy rules people have for tangs. Haha. :lol: I am going to get a real small baby and grow him/her up. When it gets to big, I will find another home for it in a bigger tank.

We can agree that I see your a Penguins fan and they are an awesome team. Are you from Pittsburgh? I went to school there for 4 years and I hope your a Steelers fan as well! :biggrin1:

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to get a tang I would get a bristletooth tang, much smaller and less aggressive from what I hear

OP
OP
bshowe

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to get a tang I would get a bristletooth tang, much smaller and less aggressive from what I hear

Don't temp me with that one... :lalala: Haha. Then I will want a Chevron Tang. They are my weakness of my favorite tang. I just have not had good luck with them and know it would be a bad idea for this kind of tank. They hurt to flush down the toilet.......

OP
OP
bshowe

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, If I had to pick a bristletooth tang order of my favorites they would be Mimic Tang, Tomini Tang, and then Kole Tang. Kole tangs are nice but they are a no no for me. I always end up with the ridiculously mean one. Ugh...

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you are that set on getting a tang go with a bristle tooth. A full grown hippo can easily push 8 inches. That's 1/3 of the length of the side of the cube. Don't do the hippo. And yes I really like the Penguins and the Steelers aren't my favorite team but I do like them. I'm all the way in lodi California! :)

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 60 cube I have a bristle tooth great for picking algae always see him putting kiss marks on the glass if I let it get dirty.

OP
OP
bshowe

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you are that set on getting a tang go with a bristle tooth. A full grown hippo can easily push 8 inches. That's 1/3 of the length of the side of the cube. Don't do the hippo. And yes I really like the Penguins and the Steelers aren't my favorite team but I do like them. I'm all the way in lodi California! :)

So if you approve of bristletooth tangs..... then can I get a Chevron tang? Haha. Maybe they are easier to keep on this coast if they come from Hawaii which is closer than the shipping stress to the east coast? I just love that tang way too much... Plus there is a lfs here that hand picks livestock from local wholesalers and they say they get the miracle stock. I have never seen such nice stuff before! I might give then a try after the tank was set up for many months...

And I looked up Lodi from where I am in the Bay Area. We are about 1 hr and a half away! Are there any local reef clubs in the Bay Area that I should look at wanting to join?

OP
OP
bshowe

bshowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 60 cube I have a bristle tooth great for picking algae always see him putting kiss marks on the glass if I let it get dirty.

I looked at your build thread and saw the video of your tank. That is a nice sump and your Tomini Tang is beautiful!!! It has such great colors and you got a really nice one! :biggrin1:

Back