Joining the Club - 50g Starfire Cube

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changes are a'comin! I'm going to be moving at the beginning of Feb and have been contemplating what's next for me. The new place will allow me to make some changes (read between the lines...going bigger). So...here's the plan. I just ordered a 50g cube (details below). Going to do a softie / LPS tank using what's currently in the 75g. Once I determine what gets transferred I'll be selling off the remaining livestock / equipment. New tank arrives on the 16th.

Once I get moved and settled in I'll be ordering another DSA 175 RR (peninsula style). I'm still torn between doing a fowlr or switching back to freshwater and doing a discus tank...I've wanted to do discus for a loooooong time.

50g Starfire cube from SC Aquatics (amazon had a deal on a package w/free shipping)
24"x24"x20"
stand
Sump 19-3/4 x 16-1/2 x 13" with 3 cambers
SCA-301 skimmer
PH3000 return pump
http://www.amazon.co...l starfire cube
One existing Kessil A360WE

The tank only has one 1" drain. What's the best option for shutting off the return pump if the drain gets plugged? I was looking at float valves to use as a shut off in case the water level in the sump dropped but not sure that's the best option.

reefugee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an auto top off system? If you do, then the ATO will fill up the sump eventually, thus turning your pump back on.

You may want to put the float valve inside the overflow box instead. If the overflow box fills up, the return pump will turn off. As a result, the pump will stop pumping water. Also - set your auto top off system so that it only runs at certain time of the day (may at 6PM when you're home). This will give you a chance to figure out something has gone wrong.

BTW - I am debating on ordering a custom tank from SC Aquarium. I will the overflow box to have three holes for a Herbie type overflow.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'd been wondering if a switch in the overflow would be an option. Yes, there will be an ATO on it. I was going to check to see if there was room for an extra hole to be drilled without sacrificing the integrity of the glass...we'll see.

reefugee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim - I don't think there are any room left to drill a third hole in the over flow. I assume that you're currently running it with a durso drain pipe. How quiet is your system?

reefugee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimbo - I'd love to hear feedback from you when you have it up and running. BTW - I thought a little more, you might want to consider having two float valve - one in the sump and one in the overflow box. That way if the sump get overfilled, it will also turn off the ATO.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few more plumbing parts to get...hopefully will have the plumbing completed next weekend. I've got the Tunze Osmolator ATO so will definitely have a shut off in there.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long that you do not have some sort of a valve in the drain pipe then you should not be worry about drain gets plugged.
On the return line you might want to have a value to restrict the flow (from sump to display) in case your pump is too strong for your overflow.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has a 1" drain and 1/2" return...not sure I can get the pump to keep up with a full open 1" drain.

naso tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a problem with mine, although I modified the plumbing in the following ways

1.25 in Durso standpipe and 1.25 in pvc drain hooked up to the 1" bulkhead

Rio2100 pump on .75" vinyl return to . 5" bulkhead with a .75" nipple. The return lines in the overflow where a .5" vinyl line to a new .5" tee that I built. Never had a check valve and the only problem that I circumvented was drilling anti siphon holes in the bottom of the locline returns. Ran this way for two years no problems. Although I think I replaced all the plumbing, and got bulkheads both double threaded to accommodate my fittings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about half full of RO right now. Will run for a day or so to test for any leaks before adding salt. After really looking at the tank it seems like it's great quality. I did go with my own plumbing. what they provide is adequate but just didn't seem to work properly. The tubing they use is different...the wall thickness isn't as thick as the standard pvc everyone uses so it doesn't work with anything you would have laying around.

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

Last edited:

Calmbeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Can't wait to see it up and running. I'm going to upgrade my 35 gal to this. How is the sump and stand quality?

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both sump and stand seem to be well built. No leaks between baffles in the sump and the stand was much heavier / sturdier that I expected. Like others have reviewed about the stand the instructions are almost useless. Rather than walking you step by step through the build all steps are in one diagram.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it filled and fired up the pump. Took about 10 min to dial in the drain. Found a small leak, I think I just need to add a little more teflon tape where the plumbing screws into the bulkhead on the drain...will deal with that tomorrow. It does run extremely quiet. I can barely hear the hum of the return pump.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up having to add a bead of silicon around the pvc to stop the leak. Otherwise it's working out great. Hopefully will have salt added by tomorrow night.

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Calmbeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Only one leak, not bad haha.

Will you be stocking this tank from scratch, or are you moving livestock in from another tank?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back