~reefsponge's 135g~

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've always wanted to get a tank thread going and contribute, so here it goes.
Tank: 36"x36"x24" rimless Miracles in Glass cube, 3/4" low iron glass on front and both sides.
Stand and Canopy: Custom made by my father and I.
Lighting: 400w Radium in a lumenmax large reflector ran off of a Galaxy select-a-watt ballast, 2x75w VHO super actinic, 2x24" reefbrite XHO
Sump: 36"x16"x16" DIY by me using melevs website as a source of info and how to. Thanks Mark:)
Skimmer: ATB 840 v2.0
Return Pump: Eheim 1262 feeding water out of a 3/4" sea swirl return
Auto Top Off: DIY by me with guidance once again from melev. RODI water from a 10g storage tank is pumped through a Avast marine kalk stirrer.
Media: BRS Carbon Reactor with ROX carbon
Dosing: 2xBRS 1.1mL doers for BRS Calcium and Alkalinity 2 part.
Controller: Neptune Apex

I originally started with a 75g and have always admired the cube tanks. I also liked the thought of lighting the tank with a single 400w halide rather than multiple. This tank was started at my townhome from contents of my 75g. Sps dominant with a lot of nice sticks grown from frags, many were classics(Oregon tort, purple monster, GARF bonsai etc.)that took years to grow under my 150w halide lighting of the 75g.

My family grew larger and the townhome was bursting at the seems. We moved to a new home and the undaunting task of moving a fully stocked 135g cube was constantly being played out in my head. The move day came and the amount of stress on the tank inhabitants and myself was enough to make me decide that I would never move a tank full of creatures. The majority of my sps collection was wiped out due to stress and parameter fluctuation. I was able to salvage some frags of a few colonies. As discouraged as I was, I was able to find peace in going back to my early roots and collect nice shrooms and lps. I am now fully motivated to get back into full sps mode and start documenting my trip with some pics throughout this thread.

Things that have changed over the course of the last year.... I sold my calcium reactor. It was all suped up with John guest needle wheel flow valve, aquarium plants regulator and a ph probe inserted. I just had the worst time with it getting clogged, dumping too much CO2, constant fiddling. I have changed to auto dosing through apex and kalk top off and couldn't be happier, especially when delicate Acro's are at stake.
I also have always admired some of the best sps tanks in my opinion, running 400w radiums with VHO super actinic for supplements. So nice, and with reefbrite VHO's originally purchased for dusk effects, I couldn't be happier.

I'll try to post updates and keep up on the thread, for now, here is a pic of the tank....
image.jpg

image.jpg

The inlay was inspired by the fret boards on my Dad's Carvin guitar. It is abalone.

Last edited:

Havok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about ur lose during the move, but things look amazing now. Really starting to like cube tanks, real close to making it my next MT. The woodwork is clean, yall did a real good job on it. If that purple monster made it and is growing in your tank, if a piece happens to break off. Get a hold of me :xd:! More pix plus

Thanks for sharing
Jay

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your troubles during the move, but it looks like you have rebounded well. Look forward to seeing your updates. :)

tbdh20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean display! Love the equipment choices, stand and scape. Also following!

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. Is it bare bottom or it has bkack sand? Just cant see it ckearly.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the compliments guys! It is a bare bottom tank with black vinyl back and underside. Believe me, I want to add pics to this thread. I will try to get more pics asap.

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome stand design. You dont happen to have a build thread anywhere on it do ya?

I wish I did! Here are some pics I was able to dig up.
IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg
kids in tank.jpg

I'll try to submit my blueprint/plan for the tank stand build.

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time for some coral pics:) My wife has been giving me some coaching on photography and on using a mac to upload my photos. I've lived a life with windows and feel a little stoopid when using a mac.

Pink Lemonade
pink lemonade.jpg

GARF bonsai
GARF bonsai.jpg

20k lokani
20k lokani.jpg

Red Dragon
Red Dragon.jpg

banana lokani...which I don't believe is a lokani at all.
banana lokani.jpg

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fire Dragon.. hard to capture the orange polyps and corallites on this one
fire dragon.jpg

Setosa, leptoseris, psammacora, and sunset monti on the back fighting for real estate. I've been using epoxy as "The Great Wall", to try and keep things even.
coral dominance.jpg

Acropora pichoni...I really like my deepwaters, this one makes me smile whenever I look at it. I'll have to get a frontal shot of it to show how thin and compact this thing is from top to bottom.
Acro pichoni.jpg

Acropora elegans... so lucky to find one of these, this gets filaments coming off of it whenever food is in the water column.
Acro elegans.jpg

Blue squammy...I have a thing for clams, I finally was able to get rid of my pyramidellid snail problem, but not before I lost a few sweet clams. This is my only Tridacnid right now.
blue squammy.jpg

Pearlberry... has been growing and coloring nicely.
pearlberry.jpg

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few fraglits that need to grow...
Purple Monster
purple monster baby.jpg

Pink Panther
pink panther baby.jpg

Purple Dragon Eyes
purple dragon eyes.jpg

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My paired perculas that I've had since my beginnings host in an orange torch coral that originally succumbed to brown jelly infection a while back. A bit of the flesh from the dying colony fell into a rock crevice and grew into what you currently see.
percula torch.jpg

Bubbly bounce
bounce bubbles.jpg

Shrooms kept me holding onto the hobby after I lost many sps. As of late they have been detaching from where they have been for a long time. I attribute this to upping my flow levels. I am trying to give them a relaxed area in the wrasse den, hoping they atttach. Really don't want to find anymore in the powerheads, makes for a depressing day:(
shroom garden.jpg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice collection of corals. Clean and organized tank.

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ARC Firework acro... hard to capture the true color of these polyps. They are a deep orange perimeter with a yellow center.
arc firework encrust.jpg

Oregon tort...soaking up the highest PAR in the tank.
oregon on top.jpg

Oregon Macro...
oregon tort.jpg

Jack-o-macro...
Jacko.jpg

Bouncer...
bouncer.jpg

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meng's mummy eye... it's still going strong Meng:)
mengs.jpg

Ice Age granulosa... first time ever mounting anything to the overflow, grow lil guy!
ice age granulosa.jpg

Paletta pink tip...
paletta pink tip.jpg

Psammacora...RR Nauti just north.
psammacora.jpg

Texas Toadstool... After shipping this past winter claimed 2 of these frags, I was able to salvage the third. Brightest toad I've ever seen with weeping willow type growth.

texas toad.jpg

UC Rainbow milli... If I could stop bumping this thing and breaking it during maintenance, it would probably have a bit more structure.
UC rainbow milli.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correction: The Texas toadstool is actually known as the "lonestar leather", I was close.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back