60G Cube Rhinopias Tank Build

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi :D

Bought a used 60g cube from my work, and decided to make it a type of display refugium with a beautiful Rhinopias and a large snowflake eel.

his name is Waldo! :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430428773.297513.jpg

pictures of the eel soon! he's 2ft.

details:
-radion XR15 freshwater
-either two vortech mp10s or one mp40
-200W cobalt heater
-no sump or skimmer. I wanted this to be a very simple set up, I know I will have to be on top of my water changes. I'm hoping all the macro algae will help me out!
-TONS of macro. I currently have dragon's breath, blade caulerpa, and cheato. I have a variety pack of more red macro and two other species arriving next week.
-debating on putting some of my sponges and NPS gorgonians in as well, to keep the colors bright. that would include feeding more, so we'll see how my water tests out for the first few months.

Here's the progress so far!

cleaning up the glass:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430428724.143785.jpg

sanding and repainting the stand:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430428752.545296.jpg

the rock arrived today! BRS tonga. I had to epoxy some small pieces that broke off, hence the rubber bands holding everything together:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430428824.568795.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430428834.819151.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430428842.786504.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank unfortunately won't be filled for another two or three weeks, as I am moving home from college for the summer. more time to work out details!

fishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Rhino!

I have a 55 gallon Rhino tank also. I have 2 Purple Rhinos and 1 yellow/tan, it is filled with Tonga branch also,lit by Kessil 350 for macroalgae

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Rhino!

I have a 55 gallon Rhino tank also. I have 2 Purple Rhinos and 1 yellow/tan, it is filled with Tonga branch also,lit by Kessil 350 for macroalgae

thanks! do you have any pics? sounds awesome!

what are they eating? his previous owner was doing live mollies and ghost shrimp but I wanted to try to get him on frozen.

If I could find another rhino or angler the same size (6inches) that wasn't super expensive I'd switch that out for the eel haha.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more pictures of the pretty Waldo :D

still trying to get him to eat. there's a baby mollie (1 1/3") that's been converted to saltwater swimming around with him, he's just not fast enough to catch it. last night my friend added a peppermint shrimp, it landed on his head, and he didn't move a muscle lol. I figured it's the first week and he's still acclimating but I just wondered if there was anything else I should try.

he's currently in a holding tank (100g sump/frag tank) until his home is set up for him.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430450051.720503.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430450058.487101.jpg

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to add any PVC for the eel to hide in? I have never kept eels but from what I have read I dont know if they would feel safe and secure in the tonga you have set up.

Edit: I have owned a frshwater eels and he loved hiding in PVC...

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to add any PVC for the eel to hide in? I have never kept eels but from what I have read I dont know if they would feel safe and secure in the tonga you have set up.

Edit: I have owned a frshwater eels and he loved hiding in PVC...

we'll see how he feels in the tank, if he's not comfortable I'll figure something out or give him another home, I'm not going to add any PVC. he is currently housed in a tank with minimal rock work and just has a specific rock he wraps around under. I could find some glass tubes though. like I said, I'll figure it out if he doesn't like it! haha.

fishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from thru a friend. the first picture I posted is a frondosa like your red one. it doesnt have tassles like the eschermeyeri does.

heres a pic of my yellow-ish one
image.jpg

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from thru a friend. the first picture I posted is a frondosa like your red one. it doesnt have tassles like the eschermeyeri does.

heres a pic of my yellow-ish one image.jpg

yeah! I would love to find a yellow one, how did you encourage them to keep their colors bright?

fishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trained mine on silversides fairly quickly, I would say that would be part of my success. Not sure if that helped then in keeping their color, prob just lucky.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got my order in from live-plants.com. would recommend to anyone who is looking for some awesome macro! my sump is FULL! can't wait to transfer all of this to the cube and make a little garden. :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430925459.660465.jpg

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, who thinks one vortech mp10 would be sufficient flow for this tank? I have one on my 8gal and have been contemplating about taking it off and using it to save some money.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back