80G Cube of Doom

Onebaldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my adventures of moving from a 20 gallon tall to an 80 gallon cube. I say it's a cube, but it really is more or less a rimless 80 breeder (35 x 34 x 17).

Glasscages had a special going for this tank and I only paid $150 for it. Here is the initial setup:

Now to continue building the cabinet/lighting/plumbing around it...

January 2015 Update. Now that I am a supporting member, I am editing this first post to take people to the rebuild of this tank/stand:

The Rebuild!

Last edited:

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good lookin' tank. I must ask though, without trying to be confrontational in the least, what makes it a cube? I see many many people talk about cube tanks, but rarely are they actually talking about a tank that is the same in all dimensions. Often they are square, and often they are rimless, sometimes neither, but again, not often cubes. I will admit to a bias, as I actually own a cube tank that actually is a cube (24x24x24). So this is just me wondering.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh, it is super pretty! I love rimless tanks. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

OP
OP
Onebaldman

Onebaldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good lookin' tank. I must ask though, without trying to be confrontational in the least, what makes it a cube? I see many many people talk about cube tanks, but rarely are they actually talking about a tank that is the same in all dimensions. Often they are square, and often they are rimless, sometimes neither, but again, not often cubes. I will admit to a bias, as I actually own a cube tank that actually is a cube (24x24x24). So this is just me wondering.

Oh trust me, I wanted a true cube...30x30x30, but normally people are referring to the width/length, it's sounds better than Square :p

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh trust me, I wanted a true cube...30x30x30, but normally people are referring to the width/length, it's sounds better than Square :p

You probably have the arm length for a 30", but I would need a snorkel to reach the bottom.

OP
OP
Onebaldman

Onebaldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been over a year now and I was quite jealous of everyone else who has been posting their awesome tanks/setups. I am no where close to where everyone else is, but I thought I would flood my build thread with an update. Pictures are uploading now...

OP
OP
Onebaldman

Onebaldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a temporary LEDs to start a mini-cycle. The sand I added was live sand with dead rock. I had live rock I planned on adding in soon, but I wanted to see how well the sand was going to handle the first stage (June 2013):

OP
OP
Onebaldman

Onebaldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a lot of research, looking at other people's builds and doing some wavelength studies, this is the LED setup I went with (Group Buy LED Heatsink):

OP
OP
Onebaldman

Onebaldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After laying out one light and wiring the Whites/Blues/UVs up, I started the migration of my 20T to the new tank (July 2013):

OP
OP
Onebaldman

Onebaldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After everything settled down, parameters leveled back out, I added Darth Vader Jr. (The original Darth Vader was from Pickupman. I had lend him out to a friend, who's tank didn't make it...hence, Lord Vader didn't make it either).

OP
OP
Onebaldman

Onebaldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit up Mike (mehaffydr) for some of his RBTAs and various other corals that Chris didn't take (The night they were added):

OP
OP
Onebaldman

Onebaldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that leads us to today:

Current Power Management:

The other LED light added in with just the blues/whites wired up right now:

I have only powered the blues and put them at 40% to let things acclimate to the lights. I had them matching the other light, but I started noticing some SPS bleaching, so I turned the power back down. I hope I have lost them...I can still see the polyps.

Lights at 40%:

RBTAs that I got for Mike:

Current Sump Setup:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back