Is anyone serious about moving here from RC?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying... everyone keeps taking about wanting to forget about rc & just come here. But the same people are continually posting on rc instead of here. It's not as hard as is made out to be. Just post here instead, people will follow...

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the BOD is serious.....it's coming .....it just takes time....

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason or real incentive to move over. The members and non-members have something that works.

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I post a new thread which should be my tank tread to finally show what I got (with poor colored iphone pics) when ever I can get my computer running again it will be here. I think a lot of people have so much time and commitment to RC that they don't want to start fresh here.
Maybe the thought of getting banned or never going on RC again is making people say "screw that I have a reputation here" and not want to even try, So instead of telling people we want to stop RC all together lets just get the club forum rolling strong here. Do any of the other guys posting on RC even have an account here?
Or how about (like someone mentioned at the meeting) send out a mass email like how we all gave our email for the Biocube giveaway saying "Come to our NEW forum at REEF2REEF!!!!!!" for members and nonmembers. (my keyboard is broken sorry for any poor spelling or grammar)

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I post a new thread which should be my tank tread to finally show what I got (with poor colored iphone pics) when ever I can get my computer running again it will be here. I think a lot of people have so much time and commitment to RC that they don't want to start fresh here.
Maybe the thought of getting banned or never going on RC again is making people say "screw that I have a reputation here" and not want to even try, So instead of telling people we want to stop RC all together lets just get the club forum rolling strong here. Do any of the other guys posting on RC even have an account here?
Or how about (like someone mentioned at the meeting) send out a mass email like how we all gave our email for the Biocube giveaway saying "Come to our NEW forum at REEF2REEF!!!!!!" for members and nonmembers. (my keyboard is broken sorry for any poor spelling or grammar)

Unfortunately for the first 6 or 7 months of this year it was mentioned at every meeting that we would like to transition over to R2R, but it doesn't happen. The folks are set in their ways, they have made their home there and there is no real reason to switch.

There needs to be something that pulls the members over here, take the main R2R site for example, they steal members everywhere due to their competitions, giveaways, friendlier nature, and their huge IN PERSON existence in the reefing community. You never see any of the RC mods posting competitions, contests or showing their presence at big shows or conferences. Their vendors are not really allowed to sell on their site.

We've attempted to get vendors to sign up with CTARS on their own private site so they could post their own dealings free from any moderation but with the lack of traffic on this side of the world, it had died out.

Now I bet if the vendors started doing what the big name vendors do on the main site, having a live sale, or posting nice frag packs for sale at slightly reduced prices then we would get more traffic. Like you said, people have made a name for themselves on the other site, there's nothing here for them...in there eyes.

Me personally, I like R2R better, better format, ease of use, owner presence in the community and overall just a better updated look.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you guys are looking to move your club forum over here from RC. While I am nowhere near CT and dont know your club, let me share my experiences with you guys on how the MTRC got here and why we stay.

3 years ago I think a certain member of our BOD got into a pretty heated disagreement with a particular MOD on RC. because of his actions, they actually closed down our entire club forum. Banned our entire BOD because of this person's actions. I dont recall the exact issue at this time. it was a complete CULTURE SHOCK for our membership. REV setup a club board here with private forums so we could do private club business without he entire community reading it. this was somethign that RC never allowed. they also let us moderate our own forum which RC never did either. it took us about a year or so to get most everyone moved over. a few of the die hard old members worked to get the old section re-opened under a different name, but RC deleted ALL our or user generated content. Everything was gone. it was a pretty crappy thing to do and after that, it completely soured that place for me. However, I tried to carry on a conversation with the mods but even as a long standing member, they wanted none of it.

we have been here a few years now and our club has blossomed. We are one of the largest in the Southeast.

Best of luck to you guys. whatever you do, dont mention this forum by name over there. the Mods are pretty touchy to that and I think they may still have it edited to say "Clay Boa" when you type it.

The culture here is 1000 times better than RC. well worth the efforts to bring folks over. More contests, more fun, and better management.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's quite the story, we currently have a private forum just for the members like you mentioned with your club. Rev and the rest of R2R has been nothing but accommodating for us. Unfortunately we just need the rest of the community to drink the kool-aid and hop over for some fun.

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with there needing to be a reason for everyone to move over here. Personally, I don't see why all the official club info needs to be in both places. Take this lutz tank thread, we had two totally different conversations happening with different club members. I sent a few PMs to people that were contributing to the RC thread, trying to get them to come over to this one. I am not saying close down the CTARS forum over there, but I think if more of the actual club content was soley over here then people would follow.

Last edited:

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, why don't you guys have your own site for club business?

Rev has certainly made some good resources available here though. And without the "legendary" RC moderation. :)

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev has made us one already, no one cares to use it is what it boils down to. We have a lot of members but also a lot of Non-members that use the forums for whatever topics they feel like posting.

moulton712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely post much on either site. I love going on both forums, they are different. I'm sure a lot of people are lurkers and use both sites. So my opinion is why does it matter so much except for hot heads that try to push an envelope.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current BOD was attempting to have a self moderated area for members and our local vendors. With all the rules and regulations that RC has in place it makes it difficult to conduct normal business, especially if the club comes up with a not so normal idea, lol.

Plus R2R is just nicer in general, whether referring to the layout or the community.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your BOD is committed to it, then my best advice is to just make the move as the BOD. do everything from R2r and as a BOD stay off RC for a while. I still check in there from time to time in their general boards as it is a resource for info.

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get the stores involved. They can post updated shipments here or sales and prices correct. So if that's the case. They get better exposure. And we hopefully get people comming here. At least just to view the store posts then mayb join in on some convos.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bod keeps posting on rc. Make the move or don't. But the longer you sit on the pot, the harder it will get. Then your legs fall asleep. Lol.

Rick, have you got the pass for the private forum? That's where the vendors have their sections. The coral reef was doing a name the zoa contest but it never got going for another round.

I like the idea of getting away from rc, I got more than my fair share of infractions there & it's just ridiculous. & they've banned several friends for non sense. So when your thinking of posting a new thread, just do it here. Everyone is here anyway unless their to much of a newb to know about r2r.

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Im in the private forums and know about the vendor forums. But we should have the LFS post on here more. Like when a shipment comes in post what they just got in. Or see if they will post up a thing where if you post on their R2R thread you can get like a percent off. That will get people here and creating a user name. Posting and the store mite get a new customer. There are endless people always asking "where are the stores". If the stores start posting here even 1 time a week we mite be able to get users over here and stores can reach out to new customers.

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you guys are looking to move your club forum over here from RC. While I am nowhere near CT and dont know your club, let me share my experiences with you guys on how the MTRC got here and why we stay.

3 years ago I think a certain member of our BOD got into a pretty heated disagreement with a particular MOD on RC. because of his actions, they actually closed down our entire club forum. Banned our entire BOD because of this person's actions. I dont recall the exact issue at this time. it was a complete CULTURE SHOCK for our membership. REV setup a club board here with private forums so we could do private club business without he entire community reading it. this was somethign that RC never allowed. they also let us moderate our own forum which RC never did either. it took us about a year or so to get most everyone moved over. a few of the die hard old members worked to get the old section re-opened under a different name, but RC deleted ALL our or user generated content. Everything was gone. it was a pretty crappy thing to do and after that, it completely soured that place for me. However, I tried to carry on a conversation with the mods but even as a long standing member, they wanted none of it.

we have been here a few years now and our club has blossomed. We are one of the largest in the Southeast.

Best of luck to you guys. whatever you do, dont mention this forum by name over there. the Mods are pretty touchy to that and I think they may still have it edited to say "Clay Boa" when you type it.

The culture here is 1000 times better than RC. well worth the efforts to bring folks over. More contests, more fun, and better management.
One of my posts was edited to clay boa , RC dorks
O

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my ctars membership here on R2R it's actually how I found out about ctars, I've recently joined RC and besides having most of the group there RC sucks! I'd love it if I didn't have to check both forums for news. R2r seems easier to navigate, easier to post , and easier to post pics ! I like it here !!!!C'MON guys come over to the dark side it's better here!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back