Sometimes I hate water changes!

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was doing a water change today and went to pull the siphon out of the water and accidentally sucked up my purple hammer pulling the colony from the rock. I reached in as soon as I could and pulled it off the siphon, but I did see either some flesh pieces or hopefully just zooxanthellae get pulled off. Needless to say it is not too happy right now. Target fed it some Brightwells Restore and it seems to opening a bit more. Hopefully it will make a comeback and I don't lose it.

Still beats gallons of water on the floor........have had that happen during water changes as well.

What water change mishaps have you all had over the years?????

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414624444.643855.jpg

Last edited:

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done the exact same thing to my duncan coral ha felt so bad for the little guy. And once while cleaning the glass (before a WC so it counts) I accidentally punched my hammer coral a small piece was floating around like yours.
I'll have to research that brighwells restore never heard of it thanks.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hammer should be fine. I had a clown kill off mine and I left the skeleton in there. Within a couple of weeks I saw it regrowing.

SaltySammy

Bubblehead Forever
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done the exact same thing to my duncan coral ha felt so bad for the little guy. And once while cleaning the glass (before a WC so it counts) I accidentally punched my hammer coral a small piece was floating around like yours.
I'll have to research that brighwells restore never heard of it thanks.

I have done this a few times with a hammer and a torch... took them out dipped in 2littlefishies revive and now they are thriving better than before.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh were to start. My mom all says I'm like a bull in a China shop and as I get older the more I think she's right. One time I was trying to soak my loc line and when it came off it took a head off my pink tip torch. I've done the same thing you just did a few times. There's a fee more but I forgot what they were. Today I was siphoning my sand and found my wrasse with the end of the siphon under the sand. He has some marks on him

GobyWanKenobie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always bumping into things with my siphon. Either the rock falls or the corals break off. I do my best swearing when I'm working on my tanks. A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning the glass with the magnet, and smeared a small bta all over the glass. I thought for sure it was gonner, but I found it growing on the back of a leather. Don't know how I'll get it off of there.

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done that once or twice to my Duncan. Luckily caught it before I did any damage but it wasn't happy for a few hours afterwards.

Zachary.gingell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that to my neon green hammer and an army green pally and accidentally fragged my superman digi all in one waterchange. I ended up buying a better cleanup crew after that so I wouldn't have to syphon so much

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I used to have a canister filter on my tank (it has since been replaced with a sump) and after I was all done cleaning it and doing a water change I sat down on the coach and one of the hoses popped of and started spraying water all over the living room like a fire hose that got loose!!! Needless to say the wife was none too pleased LOL. I guess I hadn't connected the hose all the way :neutral:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I used to have a canister filter on my tank (it has since been replaced with a sump) and after I was all done cleaning it and doing a water change I sat down on the coach and one of the hoses popped of and started spraying water all over the living room like a fire hose that got loose!!! Needless to say the wife was none too pleased LOL. I guess I hadn't connected the hose all the way :neutral:

ouch!:Cry:

ben310135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same thing happen to my hose when I did a water change...luck for me my wife wasn't home and now I triple check them to make sure everything is good.

RossTheReefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done that to a couple soft corals and they all bounced back.

The worst was I sucked up a freshwater betta one time and he got stuck midway in the pipe so I had to blow him out like it was a blow gun. Luckily he recovered from that no problem. It was scary tho!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back