LFS vs Online

SaltAddict89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im sire everyone here has purchased things from both and paid more here and there. But my question to fellow reefers is simple, how do purchase things from a LFS knowing sometimes you pay double for it however you are supporting a LFS but at the same time you want to save money and order online.

DarkTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also cherry pick and have better survival rate than online.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, online gives you more of a chance to dig (homework) into the items before you buy, additionally you can ask your fellow reefers opinions on the great site (R2R:bigsmile:) and make a better informed decision. SOME not all LFS seem to just want to push you into a "quick sale" because they want to move stock, that's the place I don't go back to.

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We buy from both. There are some things online that you just don't see in the LFS around here. It is a gamble, but R2R has a great vendor section to do your research.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no particular preference. Survival rates are broadly comparable. Depends more on selection and availability.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do both. LFS is not always over priced. Blake's throws out some really good prices. The coral reef has good prices as well & a great selection. Better prices on common stuff, but I've found some very cool pieces at tcr that I never see online.

Also prices from most reputable online vendors, are generally in line for the most part. I've found the better the deal, the better the chance of getting ripped off. Aka mr.coral or reefs2go

Dry goods, I use drsfoster Smith almost exclusively. No one matches their selection/price/shipping. Very seldom do I need to look elsewhere. But salt, Blake's for red sea all day.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love shopping online!! But to be honest most of my purchases go to the LFS... We have a couple quality Saltwater specific stores in my area and they will order in most of the corals im looking for. The positive to this is they pay shipping and they take the risk. Then i just come in and get my coral for cost and its ready to go !

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy all hardware and some food online. I use several LFS for coral purchases as the prices are decent and you see exactly what your getting... especially if your looking for something to fill that certain spot. I've bought a few pieces online but I don't like plugs so I keep online coral purchases to a minimum unless I just can't find the piece at a LFS.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment I purchase online for the ease of purchasing and usually a better price if you dig around.
Livestock I purchase from LFS for the ability to see it and choose the one I want and the immediacy of having it right away.

cjcarlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found Blake's in Meriden CT. Great guy. One advantage with a local guy like Blake is if you bother to ask , he will work with you. So you keep the $ local and not have to over pay!

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm like Trigg, I use both. I like getting live goods from LFS so I can watch them for a while. I purchase a lot of equipment online though.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't afford the shipping
If you order $49.00 through Drs. Foster & Smith, they ship everything for free, including salt. I live in Washington state and I get my stuff in about 5 days. What you spend at the LFS, you can buy a lot more online. I only order hard goods, no livestock online, I can't afford the shipping either.

Feathers&Frags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in supporting you local LFS. There are some things I will only purchase at my LFS due to the low survival rate due to shipping. Those are specifically SPS corals. I try to buy most other items from my LFS due to various reasons. The biggest and most important is that, if I have an emergency, they are there when other places are not. If a heater, pump, or powerhead fails no online store can save you. Unless you pay for overnight shipping and good luck with that bill!

HtfdWhaler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my dry goods I buy online for the best deal I can find, comparing prices and shipping. For Live Stock, food and Salt I go to LFS, also might pick up an impulse item here and there.

I agree with some of the post, you can make the most informed decision online by researching. Even check out product reviews.

I also pick up a lot up used equipment as well.

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately online due to the fact I really haven't had time to drive an hour or more to go to a local pet shop..... But I prefer local.....as for dry goods I can usually by well if you know me you know...;)

betelgeuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big lfs guy... I think it's really important to support them or else we'll be stuck in a world where all the livestock is controlled by petco... That said I have bought some things online, a couple thoughts here:
1. Lfs is overpriced is a myth... Bad lfs are overpriced, but there are plenty that offer competitive prices on a variety of items including dry goods. I think that you just need to be willing (and patient) enough to shop around... Also sometimes it is helpful to talk to the owner as they may be able to discount an item that you are finding cheaper online.
2. Online is awesome for convenience and research... Clearly online wins hands down in both of those categories.
3. I would never purchase anything alive before seeing it alive and I really don't care what kind of guarantee you give me on it. I want to see an animal and observe it for at least 10 minutes before I am willing to purchase it... Even a $5 chromis

Overall I would encourage everyone to research online but support your lfs... Meet the owners and talk to them... Be honest and tell them what you are looking for and the price you are willing to pay for it... Most of these people became lfs owners because they are as interested in the hobby as you are and many of them will work hard to help out a fellow reefer

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back