group buy feeler... leds

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be looking to buy about 5 reef breeders "style" 16 inch value fixtures. Since they are about half price to get them directly from China compared to what reef breeders charges, I'm planning to look for a dealer that will give a good group buy rate. I have not even started looking into it yet, but just want to see how many might be interested before I start looking for a good deal. I won't know if other sizes of fixtures will be entertained until I find a good discount seller, but I would think so.

After I get a possible head count, I'll start searching out a seller. The actual group buy will bigger posted in the private ctars section with full details. If you want to participate, you'll have to be able to either pick up from me in east Hampton, or meet up at a ctars meeting.

EDIT: Not Happening. See post #24 for reasons.

Last edited:

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a person that was doing the same thing for the evergrow. It really didn't seam worth it. If you buy one fixture you may save a few bucks but once you buy multiple it wasn't worth it. The price for me to get 2 24 was alittle over 520. The reef breeders photon 48 is 500. The few $ wasn't a big deal it was dealing with Logan instead of China if I had a issue. The prices are good but the shipping is were you get beat up on it. It was I believe $70 per fixture. You may be able to find something better not saying you won't just throwing it out there

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you hear trigger, Logan is a great kid and many customers are happy. However in his presentation to us it wasn't exactly made clear that he just went to a company in China and said send me 50 of these lights with the logo reef breeders on it. I felt like he wasn't transparent and as someone who is halfway done with a robotics and engineering degree and 4 years in high school of electronics and computers I was staring at this kid thinking, not even in college and he's engineered a whole line of LED lights and sells them. I literally was like wow I suck at life. And then someone asked at the end "why are lights identical to yours on eBay". And that's when the cat was out of the bag and he explained how he went over there said this is what I want and they just made the light. I was relieved but felt instantly kind of shafted because you can get these lights directly from China MUCH cheaper. Nothing against Logan he's a great kid and he's gonna go places and I fully support him.

We could even get a CTARS light produced and get it dirt cheap.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need 5 of the 16" fixtures. For separate things. 2 tanks one sump. Might even get a couple more to have on hand depending what I can get the price down to. Not worried about warranties I have a couple already & never had an issue. I paid 80 each I want to say but if I can get them down to 60 or 70 it would be well worth it. Logan gets like 179 per if I remember correct. Kinda crazy imo when I can skip the rb stickers & pay les then half.

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Phil I think your light is awesome. I just want to see if we can get them cheaper.

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave Nichole and I might be interested in getting a few for our FFM tank.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let me be clear I'm not trying to hate or derail the thread just letting you guys know what I have seen that's all. Hopefully it does work out and you guys get them for a good price. At $80 you may not care about a warranty but if you get bigger ones that are more expensive it may be more important.

SaltAddict89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about getting actual reef breeder lights or the ebay specials? Either way im interested but that depends on black friday deals

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be Interested In 1 or 2 depending on the specs. Kurt

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on price and the light I could use anywhere from 1 to 4

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll start feeling out with the info from this and see what sort of deal I can find. I'll start a new thread for the actual deal but I'll refer to it here too.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about getting actual reef breeder lights or the ebay specials? Either way im interested but that depends on black friday deals

Sorry just to be clear, we're talking about ebay specials. In case you haven't heard though, the reef breeders are only ebay specials with a sticker on them that says reef breeders.

Also, while searching them out, the lowest I could find on eBay is $96 shipped. So I went back to look at the previous ones I bought & I had paid 103. I guess I had $80 in my head because I got them $80 cheaper than reef breeders. So I was mistaken in my original post.

let's see what kind of offers we get for buying in bulk, & hopefully we can get a great deal. I'll post back what we are offered as they reply.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I posted from my cell earlier but apparently it did not go through.

I had one seller come back with a higher price than what his buy it now was so he's out.

I had another come back with 90 each shipped if we do it outside of ebay (over 30 lights, under 30 would be $93 each). His light was 96.80 buy it now. I did the math between ebay and paypal fees he would normally pocket 84 and change so I counter offered 85 per light if we go outside ebay with a credit card. I'm ok with that since credit card has buying protection anyhow. Just to add this seller has a warehouse in cali where the lights already reside. This is good because apparently it can cause customs issues if we had an order this size coming direct from china.

I also looked into another seller viperled who has the ocean revive light and he offered 150 shipped. Thats a little too high for me. It has a better spread but less leds so IMO we'd be paying more for less light.

There is still one more seller that said they would play but hasn't given a price.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back