The Official 2015 Frag Farmer's Market Thread!!!

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well people have been asking and here it is, the official announcement.

I have quite a list of sellers already signed up and some room for new people as well. Pretty much all the major players will be there again this year, and a few pretty exciting new ones! As usual, I would love to add more hobbyists to the list, but let me know soon so I can save a space for you to sell.

I also wanted to mention the admission fee. Based on the # of people who came out last year (800+), I was asked to pay to use the school's space for this year's FFM. I very reluctantly decided that I had to raise the admission fee. I chose $5, and am planning to increase the number of FFM gift certificates that I give away as door prizes and in the raffle. I am also going to use some of the $ collected at the door to start a scholarship for college bound seniors planning to study biology. I am not sure what the scholarship looks like yet, but I promise that the $ will go to a good cause!

As in previous years, please let me know if you have questions or need any information on this year's FFM!

Thanks-
Jon

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think people will have a issue with paying $5. Of course the school wants money seeing all the money it makes sense

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon, the $5 fee is nothing. The experience of going to FFM let alone all of those vendors in one place more than pays for itself. Don't worry about that one bit!!

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overall experience of the Frag Farmers' Market is well worth the $5 admission fee. I don't mind one bit!

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAHOOO can't wait gonna be awesome. Ya $5 what ever great event well worth it. And spouses free (even if they like corals to?)

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the positive feedback. I never wanted the FFM to become a money maker. It has always been about getting together for the day, promoting fragging in the hobby and educating hobbyists. I hate the idea of having to do the $5, even if it is really nothing compared to most "shows." I appreciate the feedback.
On a related note, I need your help in promoting the event again. If you see a thread, put in a good word. If you don't, let me know and I will get one up. Mention it to anyone who might be even remotely interested. I am hoping to break 4 digits with the number of people who come this year!
Thanks!
Jon

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jon, you reached out to me on manhattan reef... Thanks for that. Now even the wife is looking forward to it? :D

It's a first time for me, so can't wait.

How/where do i pay to reserve? is paypal to your e-mail preferable?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I send you a PM on MR but can answer here as well. Most people "buy in" via paypal at my email. I have been getting swamped by emails from people interested in selling this year. It looks like the seller spots will fill up again early this year. If my local peeps want in, let me know!

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok just paid via paypal...PM'ed you details on MR.

Last edited:

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have sold at the FFM can you tell me what size you used as a frag tank? I'm trying to get one built and need to know what size to make it? Thanks

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have sold at the FFM can you tell me what size you used as a frag tank? I'm trying to get one built and need to know what size to make it? Thanks

I've seen 10g tanks and 80g tanks...and everything in between. Just depends on how much coral you want to bring.

I think the average tank is a 24"x24"x12"

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys... and how do you transport the water and corals? I'm thinking of bringing three 5 gallon buckets right from the tank so all params are intact as possible...

1. do you mix saltwater there on the spot?
2. float corals for transport?
3. do you bring your corals and set up the night befor?
4. is there security in the building when people are setting up?

thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. You can bring your own water and use it, or use the Caribsea water that I have available. I do not have confirmation from them yet but I am sure that they will be the water supplier again. If not I’ll make it work.
  2. You can bag/unbag them to transport. You could also just make some simple racks for transport in Rubbermaids or buckets. Some people are very clever/creative about bringing their corals.
  3. You can set up the night before or come in that morning. I’m in till about 9-9:30 the night before and then in again around 8 that morning. I think the night before is better but then you have to have some place to crash for the night.
  4. The building and rooms are locked when we leave that night and opened up the next morning. I have not had any issues with corals disappearing after/during set-up. The reefers who sell are a pretty good bunch. That said, I am there the whole time and will have Jas hurt people who steal coral…

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. You can bring your own water and use it, or use the Caribsea water that I have available. I do not have confirmation from them yet but I am sure that they will be the water supplier again. If not I’ll make it work.
  2. You can bag/unbag them to transport. You could also just make some simple racks for transport in Rubbermaids or buckets. Some people are very clever/creative about bringing their corals.
  3. You can set up the night before or come in that morning. I’m in till about 9-9:30 the night before and then in again around 8 that morning. I think the night before is better but then you have to have some place to crash for the night.
  4. The building and rooms are locked when we leave that night and opened up the next morning. I have not had any issues with corals disappearing after/during set-up. The reefers who sell are a pretty good bunch. That said, I am there the whole time and will have Jas hurt people who steal coral…

Thanks for the info fitch4...

I have my frag tank being built 20" x 20" x 9" on a 1" high base. I was thinking on placing a 5 gallon bucket with heater and pump under the table... I will assume that this is no problem with student tables? yes? question on security was more about the type of light I wish to bring... could you recommend a decent hotel that's decent in price in the area to crash for the night? I am so looking forward to this event. thanks everyone for all of the advice.

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like that should work. You don't need to worry about lights going missing. People leave their lights over night. The doors get locked the night before and unlocked by me the next morning. We have not had any issues in the past. There are also a TON of cameras around so it would be awfully tough to make off with anything without being caught!

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like that should work. You don't need to worry about lights going missing. People leave their lights over night. The doors get locked the night before and unlocked by me the next morning. We have not had any issues in the past. There are also a TON of cameras around so it would be awfully tough to make off with anything without being caught!

Its a brand new kessil :) glad to hear it... I should have the frag tank complete by next week.

Back