I wanna buy a controller

chris82079

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i don't have a huge setup this time around but i was just dabbling in controllers when i exited the hobby a while back. I have been looking at the different options and i dont think i wanna go the reefkeeper route again. Had a reefkeeper lite previosly and i remember having the whole thing die on me twice. Looking at the apex gold package but idk if the $800 price tag is worth it. I have the programmable dimming ati 8x39 fixture do i dont need it to control that but my fuge light and the possibility to add moonlite leds. I want to monitor ph, salinity, replace my cheap temp controller, run my auto top off. Id like to be able to add dosing at some point also. Any guidance is appreciated. Its a 65 with 20g sump/fuge. also the ability to turn equipment on and off through iphone app and web would be awesome!!

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your Like me and have money here and there get the less expensive one and add to it later. I have the apex jr. Cost 250. It does temp and I can control 4 outlets out the box. At anytime I can add more outlets. I don't have my light on it. My light is 100% controllable so it's a waste of a outlet. If you don't mind spending the 800 go for it worth every $

OP
OP
chris82079

chris82079

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i started with the jr could i add everything thats included in the gold? i havent priced everything individually to see what i would save buying the gold package

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the classifieds on here and other forums. People getting out of the hobby sell them all the time.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Angel controller and like it a bunch. U can start with there normal plus model for like 200 and than add all the other stuff slowly. Comes setup for temp ph and ato. Than you can add the Internet and dosing after.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i definitely don't want a discontinued controller!

It was the 'lite' that was discontinued, purely because it just didn't sell all that well (though it is the one I bought). I'm a huge fan of the Apex. Seems to me it's probably the most popular unit, and that's worth something because it means the company is likely to be around longer (and thus supporting the unit).

OP
OP
chris82079

chris82079

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the way i'm leaning just how much i can justify spending. i checked out the reef angel but didn't like navigating the website.

Frankyrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real critical thing to monitor is temp in the winter and summer to be able to kick on fans. Everything else like lights most are dimmable dosing I would do seperate. I wouldn't trust an apex after all the horror stories. For ATo get a tunze it has its own sensor. Therefore I would get the jr with a temp probe and plug some fans in. Everything else is crap and waste of money bragging rights etc I put everything else on a dj strip and hit the toggles when maintenance is needed. Not to mention you need a phd to run sometimes. Oh never mind it's iust me (I'm the dumb one) lol

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of selling my apex jr. 175 if you want it. Comes with a 25 ft eithernet cable. I have had it less than a year only used as a switch and temp alert. Have never hooked it up to the wifi

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the classifieds on here and other forums. People getting out of the hobby sell them all the time.

+1.... And there you go...

|
\/

|
\/

I'm thinking of selling my apex jr. 175 if you want it. Comes with a 25 ft eithernet cable. I have had it less than a year only used as a switch and temp alert. Have never hooked it up to the wifi

I love my apex, no horror stories here. The Jr. model is every bit the same, the only issue with it is that you are limited to only 5 modules. The jr itself is one module, so you have 4 outlets there. You can hook up an eb8 (8 more outlets) thats another module. If you want to use a second temp probe, say on a frag tank or something, you need a pm1 (which is considered another module even though you don't gain outlets from it)....

So bottom line if you have one tank you want to control an apex jr is okay. If you go crazy like me and want to control your main tank, your frag tank, your quarantine tank, your sons tank... then you might want to go to an apex lite at least. Which is what I did.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back