OT: worm farm

AquaMama13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't reef related but I was hoping someone might be able to help. I have an Axolotl and he should be eating earthworms, but I have no idea where to get them. So I was thinking about starting a worm farm of my own but don't know how to get it started, does anyone have one or know anything about keeping one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425653993.826853.jpg

OP
OP
AquaMama13

AquaMama13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was chilling on his moss ball when I snapped that picture. He looks like he shouldn't exist lol!

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walmart carries worms or many gas stations for fishing.

In the summer time, take some jumper cables and put them on your car battery on a rainy day, with the car running. Put a nice big screw driver on each one and jamb them into the ground in a nice muddy spot or where you think a good spot might be. Within minutes they will all come to the surface and you can collect hundreds!

Straight out of Jurassic Park, but it really does work. I used to do that to collect them for fishing.

OP
OP
AquaMama13

AquaMama13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is mature, we have had him for just over a year a, he is around 8 inches long. He has been eating bloodworms but I would like to give him some different food now that he's bigger.

betelgeuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done worm bins before... A lot of people use them for composting... If you google search worm compost bin you should find some good stuff on it... There are even specific worms that are better for composting... It is super environmentally friendly and it makes the best compost and fertilizer for your garden

OP
OP
AquaMama13

AquaMama13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have done a little research, just wasn't sure how to get it started. But I think I have an idea of how I want it to be. I'm excited about switching his food source up a little. I think he's ready for it.

OP
OP
AquaMama13

AquaMama13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the baby! I have never given mine fish, I have read that they carry some parasites that can harm axolotls, also if they don't get eaten sometimes the fish will nip at the Axolotls gills. We got ours as a baby, its awesome to watch them grow

OP
OP
AquaMama13

AquaMama13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, right? I've heard that before, lol! The "wild type" or black ones look just like Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon, which is funny because Axolotls don't have any teeth.

Back