My leather has a hole in it.

normanqt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am rather new to this hobby and have a quick question. I just noticed that my leather mushroom has a hole in it. I am not sure if something ate it or if it is dying. I recently used aiptasia x to get rid of some mojave anemones. That seemed to go very well. I also just got some frags from a friend who discovered flat worms in his tank the week after he gave them to me. We looked everywhere and it appears I lucked out. But now I have this hole and I have no idea where it came from. There are two of these corals in my tank and the other seems fine. This one is near the top and gets a ton of light. If anyone has experienced this before or has any guesses on what to do, I would be very appreciative.
Thanks, Andrew
DSC_7644.jpg
DSC_7647.jpg
DSC_7650.jpg

OP
OP
N

normanqt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS. I just discovered it at night and that is why it is closed up. During the day it has looked fine. Also, at first I thought those spots were bugs eating it but after closer inspection they look like the part of the mushroom that pops out in light.

Reloadeddevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be on a safe side, i would cut that part out. Leathers are really hardy when it comes to fragging. So take a blade and cut that part out. Also cut big enough so u have some part of healthy leather as well, that way you can be pretty sure about removing all the infected area.

OP
OP
N

normanqt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after waiting a while, it became clear that it was creating "babies" Pieces have been falling off regularly, they first grow a stem and then completely detach and float around the tank until they stick to something. Then a new leather grows. This was sweet the first couple times, but now I have so many leather frags, I can't give them all away!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back