hit_the_gap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
So i recently bought a beautiful ricordea mushroom for my aquarium and it
appears to be shrinking in size. I have a mixed reef (sps, lps, softies) in my
72 gallon. i have several mushroom colonies and have decent success with them. I
have moved the mushroom from a medium flow area to a low flow area and it doesnt
seem to be helping. my fear is that the mushroom is going to melt away.
the place i purchased the mushroom from had the coral in direct light and i have mine
placed on the bottom of the tank in direct light. Nothing seems to be picking on the mushroom, the temp
is 78 degrees, the ammonia, nitrite/ate is at 0, the phos is at .25, alk is at
9.2, ca is at 400, and mag is around 1400. Mushrooms are pretty hardy so i am
not sure what else would cause it beside the flow. Any other suggestions besides the flow?
Is there anything i can do (dip the coral) to give it a chance to survive? i think its close to being gone!
Isis there i

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights are you using and what type of lighting was it used to? Have you tired raising it up towards the middle of the tank?
How long have you had it in the tank?
Are you dosing anything? My Rics, love Acropower.

OP
OP
H

hit_the_gap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 bulb t5. The place I purchased the coral from runs t5s as well. I have not moved up in the tank. I dose alk and ca.i squirt iodine once or twice a month. I alternate feeding reef chili and a 2 part reef supplement about 4xs a week. Reef chilli on Monday, 2 part on Wed, reef chilli on fri..... Etc.

Asterngil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordeas tend to be more sensitive than other mushrooms. They can take higher light, but usually need to acclimate to it slowly. Also if it's not losing color or degrading and only shrinking, it might be nothing to worry about. Depending on the type of rc (yuma/florida) it may be moving or adjusting to its new environment. Sometimes putting a newer rc in very dim light lets them adjust slowly. When they are looking for more light you will see them stretching and reaching for it.
Good luck and enjoy them Ricordeas are great corals for mixed reefs.

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this normally can happen as well if a ricordea is moving or it is new to a tank. Some might do this.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back