Feeding Rics

reefobsessed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started collecting Rics, Florida and yuma's. I have several and they are doing fine. However I really don"t know how to feed them and what to feed. Do you target feed, lay the food on them or do they get enough food from the system. :help:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

Nevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good amount of flow in my tank. I have 150 watt hqi mh. They are towards the bottom of my tank. Have a few higher up doing good as well.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed all my rics, I get good growth anyway but when I feed they seam to be so much more full and multiply faster. I've also moved them into a ''more flow'' area for now, long story.. But they are actually looking better with more flow and seem to be happier there.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding the reef frenzy but my free trail ran out, they loved that stuff. I've been feeding this other mixture of food lately but can remember the name. I'll get it when I get up. All my corals love this stuff

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this stuff and all corals seam to love it!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409404314.590746.jpg

I also use reef energy A & B everyday with reef snow a couple times a week.

mtnrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curios, do you also have SPS corals? My SPS are great but rics seem to just sit there. I have MH and t5s. Rics are at bottom of tank. I just found when my SPS are doing well and parameters are in check my LPS and mushrooms don't do so well. Any others experience this?

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curios, do you also have SPS corals? My SPS are great but rics seem to just sit there. I have MH and t5s. Rics are at bottom of tank. I just found when my SPS are doing well and parameters are in check my LPS and mushrooms don't do so well. Any others experience this?

Your system most likely doesn't have enough nutrients in it softies and lps and do better in a slightly dirty system.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I only have a couple monti plates in my system now. They aren't doing as good as I would like but their recovering from a TDS incident that was my fault but were doing great before. I run a ULNS and never have any nitrates in my tank but I try to feed heavily to make sure everything is happy. At the moment all my zoos, rics and LPS are doing great. I run 250 watt 20k radiums with led actinics over my holding tanks now. Everything is in holding tanks now do to a ich outbreak that I had and I broke down my 220 to down size a bit. I always target feed my corals and they seam to love it. Here's what I do. Feed my fish first, this also causes a feeding response from corals. Do the reef energy A&B, then target feed once everything has there feeding tentacles out. I feed around 7pm just before my MH go off and really couldn't be happier. I feed reef snow on alternating days a couple times a week cause I have some filter feeders too but also get a response from other LPS as well.

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a couple monti plates in my system now. They aren't doing as good as I would like but their recovering from a TDS incident that was my fault but were doing great before. I run a ULNS and never have any nitrates in my tank but I try to feed heavily to make sure everything is happy. At the moment all my zoos, rics and LPS are doing great. I run 250 watt 20k radiums with led actinics over my holding tanks now. Everything is in holding tanks now do to a ich outbreak that I had and I broke down my 220 to down size a bit. I always target feed my corals and they seam to love it. Here's what I do. Feed my fish first, this also causes a feeding response from corals. Do the reef energy A&B, then target feed once everything has there feeding tentacles out. I feed around 7pm just before my MH go off and really couldn't be happier. I feed reef snow on alternating days a couple times a week cause I have some filter feeders too but also get a response from other LPS as well.

Dude so your feeding your corals every day? If so try twice a week and I bet you your monti will do much better.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I forgot to say every other day but reef energy every day

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back