Green hairy mushroom help...

Jcearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone i have green hairy mushrooms and they are starting to overtake my tank, i was wondering is there a way to remove them...? my problem is is that they are starting to grow on the rock that my hammer coral is on and i am worried that it will overtake my hammer and kill it.. so my questions are. will it overtake and kill my hammer? or will my hammer keep it at bay? and is there a way to remove from the rock them without them growing back. i dont just want to rip it off because it will just grow back shortly after..

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya every lil piece left behind on the rock will make a new baby. Not sure who would sting more between the 2. If you remove you could putty over to make an effort from them coming back.

bruin11av

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally remove the rock and replace with another. Local stores love covered rocks

OP
OP
Jcearl

Jcearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what i was going to do.. but the problem is that the rock it is growing on has my hammer coral on it and i want to keep that in there. do you think it would just be easier to break the hammer coral off and more it somewhere else in the tank..?

k.schoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this was eight years ago… but I’m bringing it back to the top.
Does anyone have a solid approach to green hairy mushrooms? I’ve got about 100 of them in my tank, they’re encroaching on every rock and I’m looking for solutions.

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean honestly I would say either sell the rocks if you can remove them or get some faptasia or some glue would do just fine and kill ‘em. Really not much else I can think of.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hairy shrooms are beasts. These guys will eat a fish if it was small enough and not move I think. But once on a rock it's impossible without major scraping which is what I do. Or, take the rock out and break with a chisel to get the hairy off. The ones that get on the back wall of my tank I'll just scrape off with a razor blade. These are great beginner corals for nano tanks...it's fun to feed since they're so voracious. And the more you feed the bigger they get. I had one that was maybe 7 inches opened up in my office tank.

I have a majano wand that I've read somewhere that you can use on mushrooms but I've never done it. They seem too fleshy to burn without causing major chemical issues in the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back