Vietnam Ricordea Yuma Succes....anyone ever have any?

octoberfest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had good luck with the Vietnam Ricordea Yumas and know many people that have lost them on average around the 2 week to 2 month mark. I've never known anyone to be able to keep them long term (over a year). I know that they can be difficult.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone ever had good long term success with these?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am interested as well!

Reef-a-holic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low light! Most all the Yuma's I've ever had were very finicky on light acclimation. When I say low light, I mean like no direct light/ full shade. Keep them in indirect lighting for several weeks (sometimes longer) until they start to reach toward the light...then VERY slowly you can move them out into somewhat higher lighting. They also see to be a bit finicky on water params and prefer "perfect" water...any readings of nitrate or phos seem to tick them off. Definately much harder than there Floridian cousins, but not impossible.

OP
OP
O

octoberfest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried doing it in hi-shaded areas but still never had luck. It's one of those corals that I'm starting to think shouldn't be imported...but still on the fence about it.

amppdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty basic blue/green variety and its been great at mid level in a 29g lit with a 175W MH 20k bulb. Flow is from 2x Koralia 850s on opposite ends of the tank pointed at each other. Nitrates and phosphates usually test at undetected on API kits, tank has an ATS on it too FWIW

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had yumas from Vietnam as well and they didn't last long. Now I'm very hesitant to buy them again. I'm guessing they are very sensitive to water quality and lights.

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you why. But mine do very well. I have some that have grown up as hitchhikers. I typically keep them in somewhat shaded areas, moderate flow. I have a nice pink one that I keep in high light. It's about 4 inches across. I have had it for about 1.5 years. The momma has been around for about 10 years and has produced lots of offspring.

kfd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vietnam yuma is the only yuma I can keep. I believe the health of a yuma depends how it is taken out from the rock. These mushroom do not do well with squeezing and stretching...

Big Dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you tell the difference between Vietnam Yumas vs 'regular' yumas? I have a few different looking yumas but not sure where they originate from. Thanks!

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that antibacterial dips help with the bacterial infections. Problem is the antibiotics used are only available by prescription in the states.

Garia666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have relatively dirty water an my yumma does very well. allot of offspring , not sure its an Vietnam verson tough. ill atatch an picture.. just to be sure..

Attachments

• IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 288

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of ricordea rocks that came with a Vietnam Shipment (As per LFS).
Had them for around 3-4 weeks and they're doing fine in low light. Water parameters are fine except for a PO4 issue that I'm working on.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back