filter sock/ chemi pure vs bio balls?

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going to set up 30 gallon sump/ refugium for our 75g DT... working out logistics and have run across a lot of great info here, but have a question for the community... we are currently using filter sock with chemi pure media bags in it (2 chemi pure, 1 chemi pure elite) and the lady wife is thinking she would prefer to get away from using a filter sock entirely, depending on feasibility/ ease of use...

so... my question is what are alternative suggested filtration methods (bio balls, etc) in regards to effectiveness, setting up, and overall ease of use?

we are running a mixed reef set up currently (some chromis, pair of black occellaris clowns, scooter blenny, red dragonet, royal gramma... several small ricordea, some zoas, xenia, frogspawn, hammer)

thanks!

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt like bio balls personally. I always take them out and replace with chemi pure elite

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think bio balls is going to be a suitable replacement for chemi pure, it mainly adds surface area for biological filtration. I believe the chemi pure is acting like a carbon, phosphate remover and the filter sock is a physical debris trap so that is what you would have to replace. You could ditch the chemi pure and run a reactor with carbon or GFO, which is probably cheaper and more efficient and what i would do in a larger tank setup. I do like the sock for the mechanical filtration but you could use some other method like filter sponges.

Is the sump separated by baffling? maybe a pic of the sump setup if you have?

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio balls have been shown to leach nitrates back into the aquarium so it's probably best to stay away from those if you can. Chemipure elite is a good thing to use in my opinion if you don't want to use reactors for phosphate control.

As for catching debris, you could perhaps build a decently sturdy egg crate frame to hold some blue bonded pad or poly filter. I use this and it works well on my 20 L with 10 gallon sump. I just don't like socks bc of having to clean them constantly. Replacing the bonded pad is much cheaper every few weeks, and it can be rinsed in the sink easier than socks.

Please excuse any spelling errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dcfluegel

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump.jpg

current sump is two chamber and we are wanting to add a 'fuge - we are planning on making new sump/ fuge using 30g long(?) (36"l x 12"d x 17"h) - been reviewing a number of DIY threads - will try to get rough sketch up here tomorrow - but yes, we are planning on the new sump being separated by baffling (3 plates separating the inlet/ skimmer chamber from the fuge with 3 plates separating the fuge from the return chamber - again, will try to get sketch up tomorrow) - definitely appreciate the insights from you guys!

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 29G if it's any help at all.

IMG_20121207_144313_180.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcfluegel

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, Bootstrap - we are also running a 75g tank, similar to yours - did you use glass plates for baffle specifically (is there a reason we should stay away from using acrylic baffles?)

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, Bootstrap - we are also running a 75g tank, similar to yours - did you use glass plates for baffle specifically (is there a reason we should stay away from using acrylic baffles?)

Yes i used glass. Acrylic baffles are probably "ok" but silicone is designed to, and best bonds with glass. The glass takes longer to have cut, but I've been pleased with the results.

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best to use the same type of baffle as the tank is made out of. Acrylic flexes and down the road it's been known to bust the sides of the sump from this flexing.

Some never have problems but better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dcfluegel

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the heads up on glass vs acrylic - would hate to put this together and have it go all Chachi on us... below is rough up of what we are looking at currently...

sump fuge pic 1.jpg

Attachments

• sump fuge pic 1.jpg
    sump fuge pic 1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Surgical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see much of a reason why you wouldnt want to run a filter sock, all that detritus would end up getting in your bags and be hard to clean out.

As far as the baffles go, the silicone bonds the glass to the sides, but with acrylic silicone jus kinda holds it in place... I have acrylic baffles in my sump though, and i havent really heard o anyone else having problems with it.

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the heads up on glass vs acrylic - would hate to put this together and have it go all Chachi on us... below is rough up of what we are looking at currently...

sump fuge pic 1.jpg

I like it, what program did you use to draw this

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 75 with a 30l sump. 3 sections. Skimmer/sock, fuge, return. Chaeto in the fuge. GFO and carbon in reactors.

OP
OP
dcfluegel

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
believe it or not, did it in excel - google sketch up is another cool tool for digi-sketching (and free!) but I am not very facile in it use, yet...

and I have to ask, Bootstrap - 'Pokes or Sooners?

I like it, what program did you use to draw this

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
believe it or not, did it in excel - google sketch up is another cool tool for digi-sketching (and free!) but I am not very facile in it use, yet...

and I have to ask, Bootstrap - 'Pokes or Sooners?

Pokes! I used ms paint for mine. I didn't realize that excel could do that

OP
OP
dcfluegel

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! love some Eskimo Joes, but I am a Sooners guy - actually went to school with Barry Switzer's kids, back in the day (when the earth was new and the rocks were soft...)

yah - with excel, I used the 'insert' and 'autoshapes' features - my brother had set up an 'excel graph paper' worksheet grid that works well for scaling - I can pm you a copy of the grid template, if you like

OP
OP
dcfluegel

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay - so I think we are comfortable with the basic design/ layout (will get glass baffles cut on Wednesday or Thursday, have filter sock holder en route) - now I need to pick some brains about stocking/ setting up the 'fuge...

- looking at going with a 4" DSB - did some reading on the mud options and was not terribly impressed - think I may just use live sand, add some dry base rock and some Dr Tim's, though I did consider getting one of the Fiji mud 24oz boosters and mixing with the sand (waste of money?)...

- planning on keeping initial macro algae simple - chaeto and a couple mangroves... maybe a shaving brush (Pencillus sp.)?

- planning on keeping livestock simple/ minimal - some algae eating snails (nerites, ceriths), a couple of nassirius snails for detritus (will there really be any detritus for these guys or should I just put em up in the DT?)... PODS!... may add a couple of peppermint shrimp down the road, but want to make sure the pod population is stable/ sustained first...

am I missing anything major here - or am I overcomplicating anything unneccessarily? considered adding some caluerpa, but would prefer not to leave 'fuge lights on 24/7 to keep them from going asexual...

thanks!

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i have to say that I Love to use Bio Balls and I do understand that some people read NIT in the system. I have run my system for 5 years and have never have a NIT problem. but i do use a filter sock as well for my Bio balls. My filtration is in 5 steps. first is my socks and filter fiber cloth (aka SOFT Filtration) next it hits my bio ball drip plate, 3rd it go's in to my Bio Balls (AKA Bio Box), after that it go's into my mechanical area, (aka Mech Filter system) were i have my 2 skimmers rated at 400 gallons each along with my 25w UV that i only run for 1 hour every 6 hours, and 2 Phos Ban 550s with carbon and GFO, and my last stage is the return. I Like chimi pure and i know it is a nice thing to have I personaly Love Bio filtration as a main filtration and I have never had a problem with NIT at any time after my cyckle. Just putting in my 2 cents is all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back