How to build a 40B sump. How to attach the glass baffles with silicone.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a little build thread of the sump I just built in case others can learn from it.

Materials list:

40B sump tank ($40)
1 piece of glass 17 3/8" x 10 1/2" The height of this piece is dependant on how much depth your skimmer requires ($14)
3 pieces of glass 17 3/8" x 9" ($42)
2 tubes of silicone - I used GE2 100% silicone from Home Depot ($13)
caulk gun ($15)
tri square ($5)
masking tape ($2)
sharpie ($1)
roll of paper towels ($1)
glass cleaner ($1)

Total: $133

I built my sump using a 40 Breeder tank that I picked up at Petco's $1/gallon sale.

First thing is to find a place where you have good access and good light to work on the sump.

Materials
inwall68.JPG

I had my glass cut and fully polished on all sides.

inwall67.JPG

I built my tank in place since I had good light and access

inwall66.JPG

First measure to see how wide to make your first chamber. This will house your skimmer and where your overflows will empty. I placed my skimmer in the tank and made it about an inch wider at 9".

inwall65.JPG

Make a small mark with the sharpie on the outside of the tank - sharpie will come off with the glass cleaner later.

inwall64.JPG

Use your tri-square to draw a line up to the top of where the glass will go.

inwall62.JPG

inwall61.JPG

inwall60.JPG

Now we will make the guide lines for the glass and silicone using masking tape. The tape is used as a guide and to make clean lines. I used the thickness of the glass (1/4" x 3 ) for the width of the gap between the tape lines. This gives you room for the glass pane and caulk lines on both sides.

inwall59.JPG

inwall58.JPG

Clean your glass very well on both sides. Any grease will inhibit the silicone from sticking. Once clean, handle the glass only from the top side that will not have any silicone on it.

inwall57.JPG

inwall56.JPG

If you have your glass cut at the right width, it will rest on the silicone used in the tank construction and make the perfect gap below the pane for the silicone bead!

inwall55.JPG

Test fit your glass and add a piece of tape to the top with the same relative gap size for a bead of silicone.

Pre-stage masking tape to hold your pane of glass in place after you silicone it. I added the first piece to hold it in place before I started caulking.

inwall50.JPG

inwall52.JPG

Cut your silicone tube tip at a 45 degree angle. Don't forget to puncture the silicone tube with a nail. Insert a long nail in the tube after you make the 45 degree cut.
inwall51.JPG

Lay down a bead between your masking tape guide lines. You may not have enough room to get the caulk gun in between the pane of glass and the tank wall. I had this problem with my return section. I squirted out a small pile of caulk into a few payers of paper towels and hand applied the caulk to the glass. This method is a little messier but the end result is the same. When you are working on the bubble trap you will need to use a wooden dowel, long spoon or some other narrow smoothing device to apply the silicone between the panes of glass where your hand can't reach. Again, these pieces don't need to be water tight anyway, just attached.

inwall49.JPG

inwall48.JPG

Place your glass pane and put on the piece of pre-staged masking tape to hold it. You may need a piece on both sides to prevent it from falling over.

inwall47.JPG

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now run a bead of caulk around the entire pane of glass. Smooth with your finger and wipe your finger frequently to avoid buildup and ugly beads. You should end up with very little or no caulk bleeding over onto the tape guidelines. A little won't hurt and will come right up when you remove the tape after it cures. Fully tape the glass to hold it in place once done.

inwall46.JPG

inwall45.JPG

inwall41.JPG

Here is a shot of the pane the next day with the tape and guidelines removed.

inwall40.JPG

inwall38.JPG

inwall37.JPG

Now remove the sharpie lines.

I did the far left and far right panes of glass at the same time. These are the two that hold the water back and must be water tight. The other two panes are for the bubble trap between the fuge and the return section and don't need to be water tight. Water test your right and left compartments before you add the two bubble trap pieces. This is because you will have to totally remove the glass panes and all traces of silicone if either section leaks and start over from scratch.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great sump build, thanks for sharing! I would recommend using GE Silicone 1, GE Silicone 2 has a mold inhibitor

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ****. I looked and looked in the store for the "mold inhibitor" text but couldn't find it. I just checked again and sure enough, it is there hidden in the fine print. I guess I am going to be scraping off some silicone and reapplying the GE1. Crap!

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I just bought the below to be over-nighted to me. I'll use this for build #2.

Amazon.com: All Glass Aquarium AAG65010 Silicone Sealant, 10-Ounce: Pet Supplies

Since you already ordered it might be too late but the next time you can use Momentive RTV108 which is clear and order it from Mcmaster Carr and is about 8 bucks for the 10 oz tube. It is what most tank builders use and what I use for all my sumps and any other silicone uses around my tank. The 108 is clear and I think the 103 is black but have never used black so not 100% sure but it will tell you on Mcmaster Carr's website. In Atlanta we have a local Mcmaster Carr center which I can just stop by and pick it up and you can also check Grainger as they use to sell it but the last time I looked I could not find it on their website. Hope that helps and good luck with your sump construction!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back