Acrylic DIY gone awry

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically I was trying to make overflow teeth. I was using a skill saw that well... had other plans for me. I had a solid mount on the acrylic and a steady hand. Unfortunately, not the very best saw. To cut to the chase, part of the acrylic broke and I had to improvise. So I cut the other side out to match. It looks horrid.

Would it be ok to leave it as is? Or should I fix it somehow? Thanks in advance for the input.

_DSC1267.jpg
_DSC1268.jpg

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dremel would clean that right up. But they look very wide and any small swimmers will definitely go spelunking.

Mac

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dremel would clean that right up. But they look very wide and any small swimmers will definitely go spelunking.

Mac

Planned on using the dremel. So thanks for that reminder. As for the swimmers, the plan is to put floss above the part where the holes are. I don't think I'm terribly concerned about critters. Even if snails were to get in, they can't get through to where the pumps are at.
I know it's wide. I didn't know what else to do to fix it. Thinking about it now, I could use a scrap piece, cut the slits and glue over it...

JPG@CFI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that acrylic is really
thin? I'd beef that up a few thicknesses, then use the right tool, a router and a spiral down cut bit, and a template. If you don't have the tools, a table saw with an ATB carbide blade can work. They also make special drill bits for acrylic, and will improve your results there too. Best of luck, J

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thin? I'd beef that up a few thicknesses, then use the right tool, a router and a spiral down cut bit, and a template. If you don't have the tools, a table saw with an ATB carbide blade can work. They also make special drill bits for acrylic, and will improve your results there too. Best of luck, J

Always quick with the acrylic info./tips. Listen to this guy, ^^, he knows whats up! good on ya for spreading the knowledge wealth, jason.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The side pieces were thin. The front main piece wasn't. That was the thickest piece my Lowes had and only one of them was left. So I had to improvise. Also my first time working with acrylic and tools beyond a dremel, screwdriver, and tape. :p Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to make another thread. So I just added here. Can mods change title to All In One DIY, please?
My next step is to smooth the gates and and mount to inside of a 40g breeder tank.

I'll post the measurements when I look them up. Thanks for looking.

_DSC1272.jpg
_DSC1273.jpg

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the completed project. The only issue was that I did not use enough sealant on the bottom. When sand and water was placed in the tank, sand spilled into the chambers because of the pressure. Not much, but enough to know that is not what i wanted to happen.

_DSC0515.jpg

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use silicone to glue the acrylic together? If yes, you will run into issues in the future due to the silicone not adhering well to acrylic.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use silicone to glue the acrylic together? If yes, you will run into issues in the future due to the silicone not adhering well to acrylic.

I did. What issues exactly? So far it's pretty freakin secure. I applied 3 different applications. Each time making sure the first had dried. I just skimped a little on the bottom because I rushed myself.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone on top of dried silicone will peel off too easily. You will lose those layers over time. Also Acrylic needs to be "solvent welded" not glued with silicone. The silicone adheres to the glass fine, but the acrylic will never hold a good seal, especially if it is under any sort of load.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone on top of dried silicone will peel off too easily. You will lose those layers over time. Also Acrylic needs to be "solvent welded" not glued with silicone. The silicone adheres to the glass fine, but the acrylic will never hold a good seal, especially if it is under any sort of load.

Well, a bit late to do anything about it now, eh? There isn't much if any pressure coming from the inside. The pressure is mainly from the outside with the water pushing it against the glass wall. I'm going to venture it will be ok for awhile.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a bit late to do anything about it now, eh? There isn't much if any pressure coming from the inside. The pressure is mainly from the outside with the water pushing it against the glass wall. I'm going to venture it will be ok for awhile.

Actually as son as the chambers fill up the pressure is minimal to hold it in place. The only real issue you will have are with the baffles if they hold any pressure. If they need to hold pressure, more than likely they will fail at some point in the future. I would suspect it will last for awhile, but 6 months down the road I would guess something will have let loose.

I did the same thing as you with my original tank's overflow. It lasted for awhile only because there was no real pressure on it. I got lucky.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back