Radion to AI EXT Mount

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it took about $6 in hardware and $1 in black spray paint. I found some aluminum rail at lowes that fits into the ext mount. I cut two pieces to go on the radion and one to mount to the ext rail.

I'm still fitting it and I need to paint it black but it will work. I even drilled the holes so I can move the whole mount 1-1.5" front to back utilizing the existing slots in the EXT rail.

My rail slides all the way to the back of the ext rail where it goes vertical. There are two longer bolts that point up and will be attached to the ext rail.

I'll post pics when I get it done and painted black. Btw, the screws that fit the radion are the same ones that are used for the ext rail. M5 - 0,8

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396229510.202315.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396229524.373732.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good! I did something very similar!

OP
OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. It came out pretty good. Not sure why ecotech doesn't offer anything like this.

OneStepAhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. It came out pretty good. Not sure why ecotech doesn't offer anything like this.

They really should. I know it seems silly, but the EXT rails and EXT Mount were the reason I went with AI over EcoTech. Would of saved me buying 2 different modules for my Apex too, as now I have one to control the AI lights and one to control my Vortecths.

I did see a shot of a rail kit for the Radion that looks amazing, it's in the Innovative Marine SR 120 promo video. They don't seem to be available anywhere though.

[video=youtube;TDTNffvjRQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDTNffvjRQ0[/video]

OneStepAhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
specialty has them they are really EXPENSIVE, their ar made by " My Reef Creations."

I actually read a thread where ecotech replied about these, they aren't made by MRC. The MRC ones are acrylic and expensive. These ones are not those, they are just some custom metal mounts they had made. It's possible MRC made these as well, but they aren't the expensive acrylic ones poeple are thinking.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should eliminate the confusion...

Aqua Illumination Hydra and Hydra FiftyTwo Mounts. We will also have one coming out for the Hydra TwentySix that will be less money.

BioTek Marine Aqua Illumination Hydra & Hydra FiftyTwo Mounts

Ecotech Marine Radion and Radion Pro Mounts:

BioTek Marine Radion Acrylic Tank Mounts

We realize these may be a little expensive for some aquarists but if you saw them in person you would understand why. They are extremely elegant, stylish and they are labor intensive to produce. Also high quality cast black acrylic is expensive but I would rather have this on my tank vs. something metal and not a elegant looking. Hopefully our customers will agree.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI mount is solid and it comes in around half the price of those. Not sure how it'd look mounted on the rim of the tank.

Maybe I'm partial but I think this turned out pretty "elegant." Minus the diatoms :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403714148.835501.jpg

newe70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the AI Ext rails and Ext mounts and tried to use them with my G4s, instead off, the RMS mounts. i was worries about the extra weights added to the back glass panel over time.

I ran into this old thread. Thank you OP for posted this thread. I also did the mount nearly the same u did.

Thx again!

Last edited:

Candyman 305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the AI Ext rails and Ext mounts and tried to use them with my G4s, instead off, the RMS mounts. i was worries about the extra weights added to the back glass panel over time.

I ran into this old thread. Thank you OP for posted this thread. I also did the mount nearly the same u did.

Thx again!
Would u like to get rid of the ext rail mounts ?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back