Plumbing questions.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow to get some stuff so I can plumb my tank and get a leak test started.
I already have the piping and everything. They're threaded connections and the guy who I bought it from didn't have any plumbing tape on the threads.
My question is, is there any specific plumbing tape to get or stay away from? I don't want any nasties from the adhesive getting in my water.
Also, can cable ties be used as hose clamps to hold my flexible hose return in place?

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks nana. I'll look into plastic hose clamps. The original hose clamps I got with the pump are steel. Not a great idea :)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would look into using a thread compound paste for pvc.
Teflon tape isn't really meant for pvc. Many of us have used it and swear by it.
But I have learned the hard way in the past the it can contribute to a pvc fitting to split.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to Marty's suggestion/advice on using a thread compound instead of Teflon tape, just make sure its potable water safe. It will state this clearly on the label.

Cheers, Todd

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
just make sure its potable water safe. It will state this clearly on the label.

Cheers, Todd

I'm glad you mentioned the potable water safe tip.
I grabbed a tube of Oatey Great White pipe joint compound ( with PTFE) and it does not say potable water safe.

Guess I need to go back.
I'm doing some plumbing on a new system and want to use some threaded fittings in places.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a special PVC thread lubricant stick made specifically for threaed PVC fittings. I use the LaCo brand PlastoJoint myself and it far exceeds teflon tape or paste products.
PLASTO-JOINT STIK® | LA-CO

Found it at True Value or Ace but both also have their own versions as well as HD and Lowes where you can find it next to the tapes in the natural gas plumbing area.

I talk more about it and threaded fitting preparation in this sticky thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq...iltration/34973-installing-bulkhead-tips.html

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used AZDesertRat's advice when I did my build in September. You will find a lot of articles on why you should NOT use teflon on PVC. LaCo is a great product.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They make a special PVC thread lubricant stick made specifically for threaed PVC fittings. I use the LaCo brand PlastoJoint myself and it far exceeds teflon tape or paste products.
PLASTO-JOINT STIK® | LA-CO

Found it at True Value or Ace but both also have their own versions as well as HD and Lowes where you can find it next to the tapes in the natural gas plumbing area.

I talk more about it and threaded fitting preparation in this sticky thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq...iltration/34973-installing-bulkhead-tips.html

Great tips. Thanks

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to a couple of hardware stores today. Neither of them had the PVC paste and the only products they had that I could use a replacement were all toxic.
I ended up getting the Teflon tape though as it's all they had.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have u thought about poly-ureathane sealant as all chems evaporate within seven days I've used it not lost a thing

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip rob. Where did you get that from?
What about O rings? We trust them on skimmers and return pumps and what not, so why not on plumbing?

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orings go hard quick then leak if u don't plan on pulling it apart poly all the way and how I found out about it was that my girlfriend worked at the place where they made it but be carefull which one u use I used the the white one which they use in kitchens and hospitals it's got less solvents and other chems in it even less than silicone cause I seen the data sheets totally safe once cured

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a shocker for research don't like killing money!!!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to use the teflon tape, make sure it is the thicker variety, usually pink or yellow in color. PVC threads are extremely sharp and tear the tape to shreds. Make sure you take the time to clean the excess flashing or plastic mould marks out of the threads as I describe in the sticky thread so when you screw the fittings together it doesn't just shred and scoop the teflon out. I am very surprised your hardware stores didn't have thread sealant sticks or teflon paste? Just because they don't say approved for drinking water doesn't mean what they have is toxic, its just the manufacturer has not spent the tens of thousands of $$ and years or time to have to certified in most cases.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to use the teflon tape, make sure it is the thicker variety, usually pink or yellow in color. PVC threads are extremely sharp and tear the tape to shreds. Make sure you take the time to clean the excess flashing or plastic mould marks out of the threads as I describe in the sticky thread so when you screw the fittings together it doesn't just shred and scoop the teflon out. I am very surprised your hardware stores didn't have thread sealant sticks or teflon paste? Just because they don't say approved for drinking water doesn't mean what they have is toxic, its just the manufacturer has not spent the tens of thousands of $$ and years or time to have to certified in most cases.

I got the pink one, hopefully it'll hold up. Like I said, the guy who I bought it from had it set up for years without anything on the threads so it should be ok. I'll have to check out that sticky, thanks.
The only products they have had "poison" embossed across the top of the bottle lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back