Cutting down a couple 48" T5 fixtures...

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove from fixture. Remove bulb ends, cut reflectors to your liking, buy new ballasts for the 36" lamps, retro the light back into the canopy. Done.

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be able to use the same ballasts no? Won't the ballasts only let through what power the bulbs will draw?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be able to use the same ballasts no? Won't the ballasts only let through what power the bulbs will draw?

It depends on the brand of ballast. A lot of ballasts will overdrive the bulbs causing them to burn hotter and wear out faster.

For example I used an icecap 660 on a four bulb 36" configuration over a frag tank. Sure it worked but the occasional bulb would burn out after only five months. That ballast would be better suited for a four bulb 48-60" configuration.

The same goes for the Fulman Workhorse series of ballasts. You should use a workhorse 5 instead of a workhorse 7 or 9 for most 36" applications.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its the ballast that came with the unit, no you can't use it, it will overdrive the lamps.
Like stated above, a Workhorse Ballast has a range it will utilize, and not overdrive the lamps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back