Any idea on homemade supplements or additives to speed up the cycling process ?

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any homemade supplements or additives to speed up my cycling ? I know people stick raw shrimp in their tanks to start the process but is there anything else I could do to add beneficial bacteria :) Thanks !

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Someone is fixing to come in and tell you about all these wonderful additives that will speed it up though.

From what I have seen they do diddly. It will make the ammonia drop fast, and your left with a normal length nitrite and nitrate cycle length. If you use some live rock it will shorten it.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh ok i see well i do have some live rock and my nitrite and nitrate levels are going crazy right now but well i guess ill just have to wait. Thank you

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.... It's doing what it's supposed to do. Just time....

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only bad things happen quickly in this hobby. ALL good things take time! Ride it out naturally and you will have a healthier, more robust system.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there are several products out there you can use to help seed your tank with beneficial bacteria. Thus speeding up your cycle time.
2 that I've personally used with much success are Bio-Pronto Marine & SeaChem Stability.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add your bio starter but wouldn't rush anything. I know you want it ready to start adding all kinds of stuff but patience is key and you will have better success. Also don't add a bunch of stuff at one time once it's ready. Add a couple chromis. Let them live for a couple weeks then try some starter corals

Empire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a friend use stability on a fish only and his tank is fine. However I would only use it as a bio starter and not as an instant cycle type supplement. IMO, the longer you wait the better. I rushed one tank and tore it down a few months later. I left another tank alone for about 4-6 months and that tank kicked ***.

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest live sand bought in a bag from the store and +1 on the live rock from an established system. Just try to find some pest free liverock. And then dip your corals when you get them to keep unwanted pests out! ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back