Overflow cover

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I've been kicking around the idea of making a cover for my 90 gal. tank corner overflow. Seeing It Is half round maybe I could use plastic gutter guard as a backer aka easy to form...lol. As the tank is up and running, I don't want to use anything that will send my tank chemistry into orbit. Is there an easy to use reef safe plastic or rubber product out there? Any suggestions will be helpful including the best way to make it. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Wild1

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an acrylic plate made or use some colored plexiglass.
I guess I did a crappy job explaining what I meant. What I want to do is make a vertical cover for the outside of my overflow, something with a more natural look, with ledges or places to put coral frags. Ive checked on-line for the ready-mades but they want stupid money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just buy a thin (1/8" or so) piece of acrylic (Pretty cheap at HD or Lowes) and then make a wooden template of the rounded overflow and with a heat gun mold it to the shape. You can the use like a 2 part epoxy (I would use something from a marine supply like the people use that build plywood tanks) and glue pieces of live rock to it to form your ledges or that natural look you were after. You can also break up live rock into really small pieces and glue all over the rest of the cover to make it look fully natural like a wall of a reef or something like that! Good luck with what you decide.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I made

20130810_113756_zps6f57c1a9.jpg

Painted

20130810_162353_zps05035c23.jpg

Last edited:

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he is talking about covering the overflow in the tank not a cover for the top!

OP
OP
Wild1

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just buy a thin (1/8" or so) piece of acrylic (Pretty cheap at HD or Lowes) and then make a wooden template of the rounded overflow and with a heat gun mold it to the shape. You can the use like a 2 part epoxy (I would use something from a marine supply like the people use that build plywood tanks) and glue pieces of live rock to it to form your ledges or that natural look you were after. You can also break up live rock into really small pieces and glue all over the rest of the cover to make it look fully natural like a wall of a reef or something like that! Good luck with what you decide.
Great idea thanx

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Marine Epoxy putty stick (4oz stick for $7) to make whatever shape shelf you like with 1/2" holes for frag plugs and bury a decent sized Neodymium Magnet www.magnet4sale.com inside then use a dry-side magnet (which is wet safe) from a Hydor powerhead on the inside of overflow box or another neo mag coated in Epoxy. You can also just glue on encrusting Corals like Montipora's or even GSP. Pic below is from this morning in my 125g, you can see on the top right and back wall where I glued on a Green Montipora capricornus which has encrusted vertically as well as tabled out. 2nd pic is from January and a little easier to see.

Morning on the Reef 7-24-14.jpg
Right Side 1-12-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Wild1

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Marine Epoxy putty stick (4oz stick for $7) to make whatever shape shelf you like with 1/2" holes for frag plugs and bury a decent sized Neodymium Magnet www.magnet4sale.com inside then use a dry-side magnet (which is wet safe) from a Hydor powerhead on the inside of overflow box or another neo mag coated in Epoxy. You can also just glue on encrusting Corals like Montipora's or even GSP. Pic below is from this morning in my 125g, you can see on the top right and back wall where I glued on a Green Montipora capricornus which has encrusted vertically as well as tabled out. 2nd pic is from January and a little easier to see.

Morning on the Reef 7-24-14.jpg Right Side 1-12-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd
Sweet picks, thanx

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back