20 gallon tall convert to rimless?

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tear off the rim piece and make a 20 tall rimless? Structurally sound?

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glass siliconed on the top to the back and front. Get equal thickness glass as the tank. If the width of the tank is 20", I'd recommend no less than 8" of bracing.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trim is actually a brace, not only do you compromise the integrity of the tank in removing it, you will most likely find the edges to be very rough/sharp, they skip on the glass edge polishing when trim is used.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass is very thin on that tank. I wouldn't trust it to resist much (any) abuse. Then you will have a 20gal very short. Don't do it.

mrbee2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trim is actually a brace, not only do you compromise the integrity of the tank in removing it, you will most likely find the edges to be very rough/sharp, they skip on the glass edge polishing when trim is used.

What he said. To top it off, it's a PITA to get off the trim and 1/2 the time the thinner panels break trying. Many have done it without anything breaking but imho it's not worth it. Be a real DIY'er and make your own! https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/156585-do-yourself-30g-rimless-stand.html

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a 20G long but not a tall. The edges will be sharp but I used sandpaper to dull them. A new tank will be easier to do bc the silicone will be a little more flexible. Razor blades and rubbing alcohol will help take off the silicone residue. I did not take off the bottom rim bc I didn't think it would add that much to the aesthetics.
20G rimless.jpg

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a 20G long but not a tall. The edges will be sharp but I used sandpaper to dull them. A new tank will be easier to do bc the silicone will be a little more flexible. Razor blades and rubbing alcohol will help take off the silicone residue. I did not take off the bottom rim bc I didn't think it would add that much to the aesthetics.
20G rimless.jpg

Very nice! Well a project is in order then! I'll keep an eye out for a 20l

Wrx5803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the platic rim on many 10 gallons. Use a small torch to melt the platic and you can pull it off with a pair or pliers. It lets you tear the outer part of first then the inside and won't hurt anything. But the strenght of the tank is determind when the brace is on and is def put there for a reason.

jodah175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the top trim on my 20H because it was sitting in my buddies yard upside down with dirt all mashed into it. Just used a nice sharp straight razor to cut the plastic trim in the corners, then ran the razor along the glass under the trim in successively deeper passes. Came off like a charm. I then used said razor to scrape the silicone off. Of course, I ended up ditching the tank because it failed the water test along one of the bottom seams. -_-

So yes, it can be done, without breaking the glass. But, I don't think I would have used it anyways because it bowed a fair amount without the top trim on it.

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the top trim on my 20H because it was sitting in my buddies yard upside down with dirt all mashed into it. Just used a nice sharp straight razor to cut the plastic trim in the corners, then ran the razor along the glass under the trim in successively deeper passes. Came off like a charm. I then used said razor to scrape the silicone off. Of course, I ended up ditching the tank because it failed the water test along one of the bottom seams. -_-

So yes, it can be done, without breaking the glass. But, I don't think I would have used it anyways because it bowed a fair amount without the top trim on it.

Did you remove both top and bottom brace?

jodah175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah, just the top. i think the silicone was junk from sitting outside for so long.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back