Leveling a DIY stand

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been looking for methods of making sure my DIY stand I just made is level and how to ensure no imperfections on the top of the stand effect my tank. Should I use insulation foam or just shim the bottom of the stand?
My stand I finished today is very level I just would like to know what you guys think.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? What type of tank do you have? Does your stand have a plywood top? Is it level where it will be installed? Mine was level in the garage where i built it but when i placed it in its home it was off by a 1/4" in the front. My floors are not level in my house. I used 1/2" insulation foam under my tank and shimmed the front of the stand. The manufacturer of my tank wont warranty the tank unless it has some sort of insulation under it.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya shim foam the bottom, if its that far outta whack, and definetely use foam on the top.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use wood or fiber shims on the bottom of the stand and I always use 1/2" insulation foam on top just as a precaution. The foam on top isn't for leveling, it is just to absorb minor imperfections.

OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a 75 gallon tank and it does have a thick plywood top and I am using 1/2" inch insulating foam so far it is level I am plumbing my sump right now and will fill the tank tonight to see if it is still level when full.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the stand is level as you say, and the top has no major imperfections, you're probably fine without doing anything else.

A 75-gallon tank usually has a top and bottom trim. The tank actually sits on this trim - not on your stand - so can handle minor imperfections with no problem.

Very-large tanks, as well as some smaller ones, rarely or never have a trim like this. In these cases the manufacturer almost always specifies some kind of substrate between the stand and tank-bottom - and I wouldn't buy a large tanks from a manufacturer who didn't specify something - as even a tiny pressure point can end up as a crack or split.

So, if your tank is trim-less, find out (and do) what your manufacturer says to use...Styrofoam is a commonly used material, but it is not universally recommended by all tank makers, so find out for sure on your tank if you can.

-Matt

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone provide a link to the foam to put under the tank (on stand) to absorb minor imperfections on the stand. that would be very useful.

Can it be found in the home depot ?

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^that's perfect. That is what I used.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 201
OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you do not want to use wooden shims you can use a piece of cardboard it will flatten and give you small adjustments and you can use a razor to cut the excess against the stand so it is not noticeable.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back