aquarium reseal

reefnewb1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best most durable silicone you guys recommend to reseal my tank its a 120gallon rescently sprung a leak and going to repair

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Silicone
GE Silicone 1
GE Silicone 2- But must be left to dry for a week to let the fumes out.

Also, the silicone the beads on the outside of the panes of glass isn't a sealer, to do it correctly you need to remove the panes of glass, clean them off then put them back together.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order some RTV108 which is way stronger and probably what your tank was assembled with from the factory. RTV108 is clear and I think RTV104 is black and its made by Momentive. I use it when building all my glass sumps and I am working on resealing a tank now but just the bead inside the tank as it was not leaking before but the silicone looked damaged in places (Probably from cleaning glass with a razor blade) so don't want to take the chance. Just make sure you clean the glass really good with Acetone before applying the new silicone.

HumanMachine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never gamble on the GE stuffs. There are conflicting accounts of it having moldicides and other things that would be harmful to our animals. Even the stuff that says 100% silicone supposedly can have a formulation with moldicide.

IMG_20140220_162525.jpg

OP
OP
reefnewb1982

reefnewb1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to start on the reseal im really nervous about doing it again and having it screw up I honestly dont want to remove the panels let me post a pic

OP
OP
reefnewb1982

reefnewb1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys long time since last post but here's the update finally got the 120 back in action and used api quick start and so far so good parameters are great and stil holding a

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back