Easy way to clean Carbon and GFO for a reactor change.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to put the Carbon or GFO in a filter bag and then wash it, then try to get all of it into the tubes for the reactors.
I realized that I had a spare BRS reactor and 2 spare tubes so I connected the reactor to the water source in my garage and the drain goes into a bucket.

Now I can just turn on the water and let it run through the spare reactor and tube until it's clear then take it out and do the same for the other tube now just swap them out of the reactors under my stand.

Much faster.

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you use RO/DI water for rinsing GFO (and also carbon to a lesser extent) because the phosphates in the water will exhaust the GFO much faster. Additionally, chloramines in tap water can exhaust carbon. :thumb:

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put them fresh in my reactors and move the return hose over to a 5 gallon buckwt and turn on my pump and then refill the tankwith new salt water. serves dual purpose "mini water change" and cleaning the carbon or gfo.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slm, I like that idea! I've been pulling the pump out of the sump and into a bucket of ro/di. I'm going to try this next time!

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put them fresh in my reactors and move the return hose over to a 5 gallon buckwt and turn on my pump and then refill the tankwith new salt water. serves dual purpose "mini water change" and cleaning the carbon or gfo.

This is exactly what I do. Usually by the time I hit the 5 gal mark the GFO is running perfectly clear and I have the flow right where I want it.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use the same method

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use our typical kitchen strainer for my carbon. I used a small fish net for my GFO last time and it worked well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back