Help with choosing the right return pump and air pump for Counter Current skimmer

ddgtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help. I've tried a few calculators but I'm still a bit confused. Here is what I'm trying to accomplish, this would be my first saltwater tank, I'm building pretty much everything myself.

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. Overflow will gravity feed a counter-current skimmer as per Snailman's design here: Snailman's DIY 4" Skimmer

Skimmer will be 4" diameter by 36" tall. From skimmer on to a fuge, then return compartment then the return pump on through a UV filter and back into tank. I have 2 questions:

1. What size return pump would be ideal for this setup? Sump will sit on the floor, and will travel straight up about 5 feet or less to the tank with a 45 elbow, maybe 2. The skimmer is a low flow design, but I'm getting confused about the size of pump, flow rates and so on...

2. I have been unable to figure the air pump capacity. The skimmer design calls for 4 airstones, 4 to 6" each. I'd like an idea on the specs for the pump.

Thanks so much!!

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue on an air pump for that type of skimmer but as far as the return pump you might want to look into any of the new DC pumps. There are plenty to choose from and I would get a larger size unit and just adjust the flow on it as they are all adjustable with the controller that comes with the pumps. A quick google search on DC aquarium pumps produced these brands: Waveline, Speedline, Diablo, Jebao, Boyu, and Royal Exclusiv would be just a few to look at depending on your budget.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back