95 gal acrylic cube question.

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am looking to build a 95 gal rimless cube. Measurements are 28x28x28. My question is how thick does the acrylic need to be, and what type acrylic to use. Also want to add a corner overflow and return. Any advice? I got a quote from ATM fore $4500. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!
Thanks, scott

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, I googled your question and tank dimensions and found this. Good Luck!

Tank Information:

Material = Glass
Tank Height = 28"
Tank Width = 28"
Tank Length = 28 "
Glass Thickness = 1/2"
Approximate Gallons = 95

Cut List:

Bottom = 27 " x 27"
Front = 28 " x 28"
Back = 28 " x 28"
2 Sides = 28 " x 27"
Top Front/Back brace = 27 " x 2"
Top Sides brace = 27 " x 2"

Garf.org DIY Tank building. It recommends a 1/2" with brace.

Newbiereefer24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experience, 1/2 is good up to 24", 3/4" up to 36". If you use 3/4" for the panels deflection will be kept to a minimum, probably 1/16" or so after about 12 weeks once filled with water. Cost difference is not that much, depending on the supplier. I got a good relationship with my local supplier and it's like 80-100 bucks more for 3/4" PlexiG, so worth using the thicker material.

*just re-read, saw that you want rimless. 1" minimum is needed, deflection would probably be about 1/8"-1/4" 1.25" would be better, which is some high dollar stuff, about $1100/sheet last time I checked

Last edited:

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M2C go glass. I think starfire makes a better looking rimless

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" will definitely have enough bow to cause distortion with those dimensions. You'll need to go thicker or add a euro brace or go with glass...

Give James at Envision Acrylics a call and have him quote you for your tank. It'll definitely be better than $4500 with what I can honestly say is better quality than ATM.

Envision Acrylics

Many RC TOTM have been built by Envision.

OP
OP
Flatbrook

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experience, 1/2 is good up to 24", 3/4" up to 36". If you use 3/4" for the panels deflection will be kept to a minimum, probably 1/16" or so after about 12 weeks once filled with water. Cost difference is not that much, depending on the supplier. I got a good relationship with my local supplier and it's like 80-100 bucks more for 3/4" PlexiG, so worth using the thicker material.

*just re-read, saw that you want rimless. 1" minimum is needed, deflection would probably be about 1/8"-1/4" 1.25" would be better, which is some high dollar stuff, about $1100/sheet last time I checked

What if I used 1/2 and doubled the top and bottom with 1 1/2 strips? I am trying to get away from having a 2" rim.

Newbiereefer24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 1" for all viewing panels and 3/4" full top w/ cutout and 1.5" Euro would be ok. It's not easy though, if you dont have the right tools it's not going to be worth the hassle. Unless you can get the plastics shop to cut and clean everything for you then you can glue. Even then though, that's alot of money to be experimenting. I'd check with James (Acrylics) @ Envision like a previous poster mentioned. He's the best in the game and he's very competitive as far as pricing goes.

OP
OP
Flatbrook

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all of your posts, I am rethinking my size. My wallet is pretty much keeping its lips tight. 1/2 inch is more in my budget than 3/4 or 1 inch acrylics. I think I would be ok doing a 24x24x31,(80gal) with 1/2". I plan on doing a small rim,and really think I will be ok.

OP
OP
Flatbrook

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added to the equation is also a new sump, reefradiance led, pump, and power heads, bean animal overflow, custom rock for the center of the tank...etc. pretty much an entire new system. Tough to do when you have a family that comes first, so you try to save where you can.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back