DIY frag tank

thebush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just built a new frat tank cost around 65 bucks to build let me know what you think !
Dimensions 24x18x8
acrylic
Led reef light bought it from Amazon for 85
Reef octopus BH 200 protein skimmer for filtration
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412809445.024049.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412809462.908206.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412809482.595958.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412809497.215283.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412809514.800354.jpg

YodaHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't put water in this aquarium. Silicone will not hold it together long term. You need to use weld-on. I would also use 1/4" cell cast acrylic. Not sure if that acrylic will hold up.

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^ Don't use silicone on acrylic sheets. They won't last and your tank might break apart. Use weld-on that you can but at any hardware store or taps plastics.

OP
OP
T

thebush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used acrylic glue before and added silicone just as a precaution I could remove the silicone whenever just incase. The acrylic glue held like a champ ! That stuff is fantastic !

Reefkeepr1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrilyc weld is the best bet and permanent!! That silicone is from Home Depot even though it is 100% it will not hold!! Did you at least sand the corners that meet with the other sheet so that the Acrilyc has a rough surface to stick to? And that sheet seems too thin or you will need to add a 1-2inch border around the top or it will bow!! Hope that helps?

Reefkeepr1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrilyc weld is the best bet and permanent!! That silicone is from Home Depot even though it is 100% it will not hold!! Did you at least sand the corners that meet with the other sheet so that the silicone has a rough surface to stick to the acrylic? And that sheet seems too thin or you will need to add a 1-2inch border around the top or it will bow!! Hope that helps?

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think he put the silicone on yet. It looks like there is a type of glue In The back round

Looks nice I would use a 1" euro Brace tho. GOODLUCK. Can't wait I see it set up!

OP
OP
T

thebush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did glue it with acrylic welding solution !
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412859811.024630.jpg
I did put the silicone in just in case ! I tested without the silicone with water in it held great just wanted to make sure ! The bonding agent is really strong! Would defiantly recommend to anyone building a tank ! Will post when all finished !

Last edited by a moderator:

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, it says, "mold free" on that tube, so it has mold inhibitors added to the silicone, which is recommended against use in an aquarium.

icereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Use Weld-on 3 or 4 for all my butt joints, weld-on 13 for area's that don't have quite a tight fit, and Optix over time like mentioned your pieces are pretty thin and with the water movement you'll have in there you have a good chance of getting spider cracks in your butt joints over time. Acrylic butt joints should never be glued or use adhesive , you need to bond the 2 materials together using solvents. and yeah ditch the mold free silicone.

baadbay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see every 1 saying abut his glue but i don't see any 1 saying about his chose of acrylic

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of acrylic will not hold the weight of the water. Its is very brittle and only meant for storm windows. You need lexan also 1/4" minimum and have what's called a euro brace or go thicker to do away with the brace. Also the silicone you chose will not work because of the mold inhibitors build into it which will kill your corals and all the good bacteria your tank needs to survive.

You need to scrap this whole set up and do it properly. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just trying to help u and what live stock u will harm with this.

icereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a frag tank his choice is fine it will work because most frag tank view from above, but it will cloud up easier, I prefer Cell Cast Acrylic on my tank builds.

Bigmatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see where it says mold free product protection, that will leech chemicals into the water that will kill everything

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see where it says mold free product protection, that will leech chemicals into the water that will kill everything

+1 Ask me how I know this to be true... I refer to the event as the "Coralcide." Used the exact same stuff pictured except clear.

Mac

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back