Diy air pump possible?

mudbucket72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking if somehow you could make like a water wheel and some how make that power a air pump of some sort. Not really useful for salt but would be great for freshwater with wet/dry or sumps. I have the ideas just don't have the knowhow to build the stuff lol

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easiest way is a maxijet power head. they come with a kit to add air. What is does is suck the air from the hose and the water movement adds it to the tank.

OP
OP
mudbucket72

mudbucket72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know but I was trying to think of a way to do it without needing power this would also be great for ponds since most of them have a little waterfall

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would have to be a way to use the water drains from tank 2 sump as power. Idk how much force is there or what kind of juice you could end up with. Maybe not for air but maybe to run a fuge light or moonlights? I mean we power cities with water flowing over dams. Why not in our tanks.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking if somehow you could make like a water wheel and some how make that power a air pump of some sort. Not really useful for salt but would be great for freshwater with wet/dry or sumps. I have the ideas just don't have the knowhow to build the stuff lol

If you have a water fall you might generate electricity with a water wheel. How much air and pressure do you want it to produce? Every time you change one energy source for another you lose efficiency. So if you use a pump to make a water wheel turn an air pump, it is more efficient to just power the air pump with electricity.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An engine is a reverse air pump. Find an old lawnmower engine or R/C car engine and use the waterwheel to turn it. Then connect to the intake or exhaust depending on the engine rotation for your air pump. A little oil occasionally to prevent rust, and of you go!

OP
OP
mudbucket72

mudbucket72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea maybe like a turbine at the exit of the overflow pipe I'm sure it would generate enough to power a small pump. Depending on how efficient it is could possibly power a small dc return pump. I know that would put my mind at ease if there were ever a power outage

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do the research, you will find that a generator driven by water will only be 55% efficient. If you have 20 gallons per minute falling two feet you can generate just about 4 watts or enough to run one LED. Not much for several hundred dollars for the generator.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back