GFO Reactor $15 DIY

5Bucks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's video of my $15 DIY GFO Reactor [video=youtube_share;Hi9IZyYWqLk]http://youtu.be/Hi9IZyYWqLk[/video]
I'll add details on the build soon if interested

shells4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interested to see how this works for you long term. Fyi. You can get one piece plastic lids for ball jars. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
5Bucks

5Bucks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip on the plastic lids. I looked them up. Not sure they would be as watertight/airtight as the metal lids. One nice quality with the metal lids is their 2 piece design. When disassembling, no worries about removing plumbing as the center piece of lid doesn't turn. Also the metal is aluminum and it's coated on the inside. And duh on me… these jars are used for pickling - lots of salt in that so think they'll be fine over time.

shells4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plastic lids are water tight. I use them a lot in my kitchen. The aluminum would definitely be easier when changing the media though! Do you think this would work for biopellets or would there be to much flow? I am just starting to learn about reactors.

OP
OP
5Bucks

5Bucks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still learning too. If the plastic lids are watertight they could work. Just turn the jar and hold the lid steady to open for media change. For flow control I put a ball valve on the inlet side of the reactor. With that setup, I can adjust flow rate to whatever I want. With the valve approx. 3/4 open I'm getting about 75 gallons/hour thru the reactor.

shells4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the biopellets I would probably have to get the smallest pump available. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
5Bucks

5Bucks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my DIY GFO reactor: Been running for 5 days now. I started with 3 tablespoons of GFO. 2 days ago I added 3 more. At that point, flow rate was about 90 gallons per hour. With the 3 more added, GFO did not tumble as high in the chamber. But, still had excellent mix/tumble in the bottom 2 inches. Tonight I switched to a more powerful pump and flow rate is now 130 gallons per hour. Mix and tumble a little more vigorous now and happy no small GFO particles making it more than half way up the reactor. My fear was small GFO particles going through the return. No such problem. I'll continue to up the GFO volume every few days. I'm still way under the amount recommended by BRS on the container which if I recall is 1 tablespoon per 4 gallons of tank. Mine is 55G (70 including sump) so according to BRS I should be running 14-19 tablespoons.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back