Knot in my neck!

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In finishing off my 90g stand, I noticed a knot on the front top 2x4. No clue how I missed it initially! Here are pics of it from the top and from the inside of the stand. Is it unsafe? The perpendicular 2x4 in the pic is one of the horizontals which is 2/3rds of the way across so the knot is a little more than 2/3rds over from the left if facing the tank. (If that makes sense)
image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. As u can tell by the orientation of my neck, the top pic is sideways

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out at what spot on the stand the knot is in. Kinda hard to figure out by the pictures. Most of the weight on a tank is carried by the sides of the stand not so much in the middle.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were the top view of the stand

tankKNot.jpg

I'm trying to figure out at what spot on the stand the knot is in. Kinda hard to figure out by the pictures. Most of the weight on a tank is carried by the sides of the stand not so much in the middle.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't worry. Almost impossible to find wood without knots. Your legs are going to carry or hold the weight, make sure they are glued and screwed.

Stand looks good by the way.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Hopefully you're right. And thanks for the stand complement. I was able to match the floor (mostly) by combining 2 stain colors onto red oak boards. I love the result but it's been hell trying to find a trim to finish it up with. Will order doors soon.
But the finishing details are minor compared to the sanding I have to do to get the stand flush with the bottom of the tank. BIG gaps. I would have preferred to buy a stand at this point!

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to worry about that stand is way over engineered for a 90g. Not that that is a bad thing just saying don't lose any sleep over that knot.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back