Plumbing question.

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in adding a gfo reactor to my tank. The problem is, is I don't have the space for another pump in my sump. Now is there a way I could add something to the main plumbing to hard plumb the tube to the main pvc plumbing? If so how?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of reefers install a tee with a ball valve on the side run on their return pump and run reactors from that. As long as your return pump can handle an additional 60 GPH or so you should be good.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foiling Phosphate | Coral Magazine
Seaklear Phosphate Remover CR 32 FL Oz | eBay
$_57.JPG

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can add a reactor to the return pump. Just add a t fitting. one side of the T goes straight to the display tank the other side goes to the reactor. Use a ball fitting to control back pressure in the reactor. The output of the reactor could just dump back into the sump or T it back into the return line. I like the return to sump choice because it reduces the chance of blowing gfo into the display.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting!
Maybe this on it self will make a awesome thread as it's new to most but not to some.
What will be the long term effect on this in a reef?

Coming back to the OP question, I would get a mesh filter bag and hang some GFO in a high flow area in the sump, this worked for many.
And as always when running GFO keep testing daily or every other day your PO4.
I'm sure @RandyHolmesFarley will chime in on this either before or after the Turkey charge, LOL.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No long term effect. Just like running GFO, but you don't have to keep changing it out, and you don't need a reactor. Just dose by the capful, and that bottle will last a very long time.
It brings down phosphates faster and with less headaches than GFO, it dosen't exhaust, and you can dose it when needed to bring down phosphates very quickly.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No long term effect. Just like running GFO, but you don't have to keep changing it out, and you don't need a reactor. Just dose by the capful, and that bottle will last a very long time.
It brings down phosphates faster and with less headaches than GFO, it dosen't exhaust, and you can dose it when needed to bring down phosphates very quickly.

Thanks.

awais98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But please know that when u use lanthanum I.e. Sea clear u must use it in a 5microb filter, coz the precipitate that comes out will sticky our glass everywhere if u don't

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the plumbing question. When installing a tee do not plumb it like this "T" but if you turn it 90degrees it will have flow straight up to the DT and a side out. This costs far less head pressure. Would have to look up the value but it is significant.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used sea klear and gfo together for a long time. I like having two methods. Ive heard of tangs having problems if the precipitate gets to them. Using less along with the gfo seems a good compromise to me. Some people add the sea klear to their skimmer. I just pour mine diluted with RO water into a 10 micron sock filter after it has been running for a day so it already has some debris in it. I have my GFO feed through a T off my return line and I like the setup.

Ep3n3wp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a manifold off my return pump with a 3/4 line can be hooked up(my chiller is on that one) and a 1/2 could be hooked up or reduced down to whatever size)... They have ball valves so ican control the flow going thru I'll post some pix when I get home later...

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But please know that when u use lanthanum I.e. Sea clear u must use it in a 5microb filter, coz the precipitate that comes out will sticky our glass everywhere if u don't
Not exactly true, if your phosphate levels aren't very high, it will not clump and leave stringy crap everywhere. When you first start, yes, if levels are high, you gotta stay on the snot that it leaves behind, which is phosphate in bound form. But once its down to .05 levels, there is no mess to clean up.

woochi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-off from return

Attachments

• 1418869934084.jpg
    1418869934084.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 1418869947076.jpg
    1418869947076.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 322

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421721481.822157.jpg
here's what I did, cut it into my main return.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back