Diy algae scrubber, what do you guys think.

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna order a hog1 but I decided to make my own scrubber. Hope it does the job. I guess I'll see in a week or two if it's making alage. I basically took a Tupperware container top and sanded it down real rough then drilled holes in it. I strapped it to a piece of 3/4" Pvc which I also drilled holes in so the water will trickle down it. I had the jbj nano glo for my refuguim anyway so I hope its enough lite. My nitrates and phosphates are never high and my cheato grows like crazy so not sure how effective it will be. Let me know what you guys think any input would be awesome.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

Attachments

• 1418168810720.jpg
    1418168810720.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 728
  • 1418168824928.jpg
    1418168824928.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 624
  • 1418168837169.jpg
    1418168837169.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 533

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light on both sides would be better, also, placing the light closer to the pad would do ya better also. Other than that have fun with it, once it gets going you'll love it!!

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sir bonkers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I notice its kinda far away from the water. Any excessive noise issues?

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I notice its kinda far away from the water. Any excessive noise issues?

Not for where my sump is located. I can't hear it when I close the cabinet door. I guess I could lower it a tad so it enters the water better. Thanks

sir bonkers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower that, lower the light a little bit, and I would let it go.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen one using a Tupperware screen so that's a first! The Darice #7 Plastic canvas is really much better, more holes, better flow-through, and makes for a rougher surface. Plus it's like $0.50 a sheet. However it doesn't have rigidity so if you are going to run it like you have it, you might pay the canvas on top, or just leave it like it is and see what happens.

Right now your water is on the bottom side of the screen, light on the top - so that's not going to grow algae very well, unfortunately. The tupperware will block it all. You would want the holes on the other side draining on to the top of the screen (maybe there are some, but that's all you need for that setup, backside holes aren't going to help much)

One thing that raised the red flag was the tilt of the pipe. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but it looks like the pipe is slanted upward to the right. When you start to get algae growing, that's going to wick water like crazy to the left and that's not where you want it. :cry:

The expressions lights are good, the white LED light is not going to be best for growing algae

JMO though...let me know if you need any help

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been tempted for a while to create an algae a rubber, but I have not followed through, I have all of the stuff except for lighting. I have read posts where people were using LED's with red lenses.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen very many examples of success from use of filters, but that may have been from lack of searching. You need a specific red spectrum, so I filter is going to just pick that spectrum out of the bandwidth and stop the rest, meaning your LED intensity is mainly wasted. It's more efficient and effective to just use a fixture with 660nm Deep Red chips in it.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen very many examples of success from use of filters, but that may have been from lack of searching. You need a specific red spectrum, so I filter is going to just pick that spectrum out of the bandwidth and stop the rest, meaning your LED intensity is mainly wasted. It's more efficient and effective to just use a fixture with 660nm Deep Red chips in it.

I made some adjustments to flow the water over the top and leveled it. You said the light I ordered was good correct?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made some adjustments to flow the water over the top and leveled it. You said the light I ordered was good correct?

The expressions light is a good one. It doesn't exactly fit the dimensions of you scrubber though, but that's fine. You want it relatively close, if you keep things in the same configuration you have, about 2" above the screen I would say.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The expressions light is a good one. It doesn't exactly fit the dimensions of you scrubber though, but that's fine. You want it relatively close, if you keep things in the same configuration you have, about 2" above the screen I would say.

Will do thanks for all your help.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update day #3
Wow didn't even get my light in the mail yet.

Attachments

• 1418387836645.jpg
    1418387836645.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 468

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following along too. It's always nice to see somebody trying an algae scrubber for the first time. I'm sure you'll get more algae once you get those lights. Keep us posted. Feel free to ask questions. :biggrin1:

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just hook these scrubbers up to your overflow to the sump? Runs through the scrubber then to the sump skimmer ect?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back