biopellet reactor question

Feltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at possibly purchasing a recirculation biopellet reactor. I've noticed they are fairly expensive and there is a fairly limited secondhand market. However there is a fairly large Secondhand calcium reactor. Looking at the difference between comparable size reef octupus calcium and biopellet reactors the Calc actually have larger recirculation pumps so I feel like tumbling wouldn't be an issue. If u plug the co2 and probe holes is there any other real difference between Calc and biopellet reactors?

Steven@

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real difference... the key is the pump power and line size = flow and force to make the media tumble but not destroy its self. The top must be able to contain the type of bio you select and the flow needs to come from the bottom up to keep the media from sticking together... Most bio reactors manufactures have done the research to match the pump with line size and container size to match a tank size range. So to speak they take the guess work out of the equation. If you are a DIY person then you can make it work effectively.

OP
OP
Feltman

Feltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference i see is a higher feed and return rate on the biopellet reactor is this really needed or is it more about making sure the pellets consistently move?

OP
OP
Feltman

Feltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with more research I stumbled apon this Aqualund Re-Circulating Bio Pellet Reactor
these basically look like calcium reactors and I feel like you could take a standard calcium reactor cut off the branch were the co2 comes in and install a valve so u can control the tumble of the pellets

Steven@

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal is to keep the water in contact with the media as long as possible without the media sticking together. Re-circulating systems allows for that to happen. I used a standard reactor and it worked OK... I decided to go back to dosing carbon to reduce the risk of a total tank crash, witch I feel can happen with any of these devices if they fail.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back