sump advice

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building my sump out of a 30g tank and have a coulpe questions.
First thing is that I guess my tape measure reading skills where off the day I measured for my baffles. I had my glass cut at 11 1/2" wide and the tank is 11 3/4". I am going to use aquarium silicone to put it together. Is that too big a gap to try and fill? I hate to buy the glass twice by also don't want problems. It would be 1/8th on each side which doesn't sound like much but, might be when trying to fill with silicone.
Second thing is the way I am planning to set it up is drain/simmer, bubble trap, return, refugium. Baffles between drain and return 10" tall and baffle between return and fuge 13" tall. Tank is 16" tall and my dt is a 75. Will tee off return pump and feed fuge. Does this seem like a good way to set it up?

91Atrac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion I wouldn't put the two returns. To me it just seems odd to have a mid return and end return. Cut the middle out, push everything over and add a freshwater chamber for ATo. Otherwise it sounds fine.

OP
OP
Thunderfan

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wasn't clear. There is only one return. 3 sections drain, return, fuge. I will have a separate container for ato.

91Atrac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Hard to see for me. Give it a try. Experimenting is what advances the hobby

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you will be fine sealing the gaps with silicone. Might wanna do 2 passes is all. So fill the gaps one day let cure. Next day or 2 days later go over it again. But either way u should be fine. Also the setup sounds fine. I would just tee off your drain line and have it go to both side of your sump. Add a ball valve on your refugium side so you can adjust flow into the two sections. Like this picture. Or something like that anyways.

Attachments

• 1419021171150.jpg
    1419021171150.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 184
OP
OP
Thunderfan

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I am doing a bean animal drain and I think I would have problems if I teed my drain.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back