Ordinary Household Items

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a household product in a unconventional matter for your aquarium? Maybe you have a creative way to reuse something? For example,I use a glass door from a broken toaster oven as a heat proof light shield.Here's a few more of my random ideas;
A sewing thread holder can be used to air dry test tubes

DSCF9180.jpg

A lipstick caddy doubles as a test tube holder

DSCF9179.jpg

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thread - i use black vacuum hose to enclose my bundle of drain hoses from the reactors in the sump to keep the light out and to keep them clean. Also i think my wife is still looking for the tubawear that is now made into a nifty skimmer stand.lol

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To protect my corals from stinging each other I use the open lids from McDonalds sundaes.
McDs1.jpg

McDs1.jpg

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To protect my corals from stinging each other I use the open lids from McDonalds sundaes.
McDs1.jpg

I'm going to use this also but to get some random loose polyps to attach to rock rubble without needing to glue them. Thanks!

lsaint88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used a tupperware that I got at the $1 store and drilled holes to place over corals that I just feed to keep others form stealing its food

OP
OP
kireek

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thread - i use black vacuum hose to enclose my bundle of drain hoses from the reactors in the sump to keep the light out and to keep them clean. Also i think my wife is still looking for the tubawear that is now made into a nifty skimmer stand.lol
Great idea!The plastic hoses from vacuums are very strong and will last for years.My husband and I frequently use Tupperware for aquarium purposes.In addition to skimmer stands they work well for transferring and accilmating frags.I also cut holes into them to cover and protect surrounding equipment( like aqua lifters)from salt creep.

bottom of a 1 Gal Water Jug Temp Frag Rack LOL
I have a problem with temporary frag racks.The tend to become permanent fixtures.

I used a tupperware that I got at the $1 store and drilled holes to place over corals that I just feed to keep others form stealing its food
Excellent idea! This would really protect the corals from greedy inverts.I can't wait to frustrate the Sally light foot crab!

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That McDonald's sundae lid idea is awesome! Looks good too.
I use small food grade storage containers as in tank acclimation boxes. I just add a bunch of small holes to the bottom and about 1/4 from the top for water flow. It traps air in the top 1/4 of the container so it floats and the containers are big enough that I can add some sand, a small rock and/or rubble rock.
My last one cracked recently so when I make a new one I'll post pics :)

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wooden BBQ skewers can be used to spot feed corals, flip over snails, and pulverize vermatids
image.jpg

image.jpg

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top of a plastic water bottle and some T8 flourescent tube guard makes for a good coral target feeder. Fish and crabs cant steal or bother corals when feeding. A little coral glue and a zip tie to fasten together.

image.jpg

OP
OP
kireek

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top of a plastic water bottle and some T8 flourescent tube guard makes for a good coral target feeder. Fish and crabs cant steal or bother corals when feeding. A little coral glue and a zip tie to fasten together.
What is nice about this design is you don't have to get your hands as wet.Especially when you want to feed multiple corals.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use stickers and coloured textas as labels on cords and power points so I don't have to trace cords back to the object. I just know the yellow label with skimmer written on it is my skimmer and the blue label with return written on it is my return pump etc. :)
I put one on the power point switch, one on the very end of the cord and a couple along the length of the cord so I can easily remove something without having too many problems figuring out what's what.

Back