LED Apex help

GREEF stricken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok electronics gurus:

Starting my first LED build. Need some help. Have my LED's picked and shipping. I am trying to choose drivers and dimmers with the intent to in the not too distant future connecting them to my Neptune controller. Can anyone gimme some do's n don't's as what I'm lookin fer? Thanks

GS

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like meanwell drivers to connect to the apex. If you have vdm ports might as well go that way right away.

OP
OP
G

GREEF stricken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive my ignorance but can u explain "VDM Ports"...total electronics. And what about Meanwell drivers make them compatible?
GS
I like meanwell drivers to connect to the apex. If you have vdm ports might as well go that way right away.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, for controlling or dimming LED's there are two primary ways of doing so with electronic components ie: Controller. First is a PWM (pulse width modulation) which is used on many commercial dimmable LED units or aftermarket DIY in Arduino, Typhoon, Reef Angel Controllers etc... the other is analog 0-10v like used in Neptune Apex VDM modules (variable dimming module) or manual POT's (potentiometer) So as an example if going with MeanWell drivers you would want the 'D' model for Apex and 'P' model for Arduino setups. I have and use the MeanWell 6048-D drivers for my DIY fixture which I control through a Apex. Each of these can easily control 3-14 emitters or more if careful in the mix.

Hopefully answered some of your questions and did not add to many more. Feel free to ask any questions you may have here.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said Todd. Greef look at rapid led for how to and possible YouTube to see people putting them together.

OP
OP
G

GREEF stricken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Todd that was well presented. My issue with those drivers is this...my plan is 5 spans of aluminum channel stockas heat sinks split evenly over 5' length over canopy. Front to back on each: RB, B, R, RB, G, B, RB. I want all the Royal Blues and Blues on the same dimmer.thats 15 plus 10 at 3w ea...those mea wells aren't large enough.was lookin at this for blue channel...any thoughts?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181594122095

GS
[ QUOTE=TJ's Reef;2130163]OK, for controlling or dimming LED's there are two primary ways of doing so with electronic components ie: Controller. First is a PWM (pulse width modulation) which is used on many commercial dimmable LED units or aftermarket DIY in Arduino, Typhoon, Reef Angel Controllers etc... the other is analog 0-10v like used in Neptune Apex VDM modules (variable dimming module) or manual POT's (potentiometer) So as an example if going with MeanWell drivers you would want the 'D' model for Apex and 'P' model for Arduino setups. I have and use the MeanWell 6048-D drivers for my DIY fixture which I control through a Apex. Each of these can easily control 3-14 emitters or more if careful in the mix.

Hopefully answered some of your questions and did not add to many more. Feel free to ask any questions you may have here.

Cheers, Todd
[/QUOTE]

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you trying to only use 35 leds for the whole tank? That will only be enough light to grow some softies at best unless tank is very shallow. If not can you draw your layout.
My last set was 2 heat sinks with 96 leds and 6 drivers. All Blues were on 3 drivers, colors one and whites on one. This allowed control of each color with apex. That driver you listed I have not used before so I'm not sure about how it would work.

OP
OP
G

GREEF stricken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not giving you the full picture. All growth will come from 3ea 250W MH's. This blue combo/red/green LED build is solely for aesthetics.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplemental lighting makes sense for only 35 LEDs. I would just use a thin heatsink the length of the tank. Look at heatsinkusa. They have one that is about 2" wide and 2" tall and cut to length. For 4 foot tank I would only add maybe 4 reds and greens, rest would be cyan, uv and mostly royal blues.

OP
OP
G

GREEF stricken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some 1/2" X 1" aluminum Chanel for heat sink. But now I'm confused...found a driver of 100W with a potentiometer dimmer on eBay. Have no electronics training of any kind so please forgive my elemental ignorance here but as I read I'm now getting the impression I need a power supply beyond the driver? Assumed driver was a fancy LED word for power supply. Can someone give a brass tax rundown on what I need?

Have ordered
15...RB
10...B
5...G
5...R
All 3W
Plan was 3 channels...ALL blues on 1, Reds on 1 and Greens another.
Drivers. Figured the 100W driver would push the blues on one channel and a couple smaller 40(ish) watt drivers for the other 2. Found a digital programmable 5 channel dimmer as well. How can I tell from dimmers specs whether it can handle the big load of the # of blues and the larger driver? Any help is appreciated.

GS

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into running the circuit parallel which will allow you easily to run 24 emitters on a driver. They just need to be evenly balanced.

Cheers, Todd

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back