Turn Your Old Apple Device Into A Webcam

Codemonkey812

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea. I am going to use an old 4s to try this tonight. I might even have an old windshield car mount that I can stick to the side of the tank.

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, I have an old 4s as well so I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the info! I already downloaded the viewing app on my current phone.

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! I had an old iphone I picked up a few years ago for signing up a new bank account. This seriously took me 5 minutes to get setup and the quality is surprisingly good!!

My only issue is that I get a massive glare. I need to figure out a good way to mount the iPod to the tank, since the camera needs to be within a couple inches to avoid the glare...

Thanks a ton for posting this!!

GenSkiR6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I didn't get a glare but I do have a cord issue. To keep the iPad constantly charged the cord is exposed and I have a cat with a chewing addiction. I've got to figure something out. She's already shocked the heck out of herself and continues to chew. Darwinism I guess.

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is working pretty well. There is a little bit of lag and the stream skips sometimes but plenty good enough for my purposes. I am going to build a bracket to mount it to the wall and hold it steady and also run power to it. I did a test run and the old battery on my phone only lasts a few hours with the screen dimmed.

hllywd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this work for android?

I've been using IP Webcam with my old HTC Incredible 2 for a couple years now. I'm not sure if it's available for IOS or not. It runs pretty stable when we're away. I have a non-slip basic silicone case on the phone and prop it up on my Magnavore against the end glass on my 210 when we're out of town. It was up for about 18 days last May/June while we were in Florida, and I was able to keep an eye on it and my Apex to make sure things ran smooth. I have not been able to integrate it with the Apex.

Oops, almost for got the link for the app... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam

Different app, but yes it does.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea. I am going to use an old 4s to try this tonight. I might even have an old windshield car mount that I can stick to the side of the tank.

This is awesome, I have an old 4s as well so I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the info! I already downloaded the viewing app on my current phone.

Wow! Going to set this up stat!

This is awesome! I had an old iphone I picked up a few years ago for signing up a new bank account. This seriously took me 5 minutes to get setup and the quality is surprisingly good!!

My only issue is that I get a massive glare. I need to figure out a good way to mount the iPod to the tank, since the camera needs to be within a couple inches to avoid the glare...

Thanks a ton for posting this!!

No Problem. Enjoy the app and the extra money you saved by not having to buy a webcam. I know I am/did.

Hmmm, I didn't get a glare but I do have a cord issue. To keep the iPad constantly charged the cord is exposed and I have a cat with a chewing addiction. I've got to figure something out. She's already shocked the heck out of herself and continues to chew. Darwinism I guess.
Have you tried that anti-chewing spray at petsmart. I forgot the name.

Sweet I tried and picture is very clear
Glad it worked out for you.

Mine is working pretty well. There is a little bit of lag and the stream skips sometimes but plenty good enough for my purposes. I am going to build a bracket to mount it to the wall and hold it steady and also run power to it. I did a test run and the old battery on my phone only lasts a few hours with the screen dimmed.
The lag is due to your internet connection. It works best on wifi just as any other internet supported device. Turn all other apps off and leave it as the only running app. My phone never drains on the charger. I took it off the charger last night so it could lose charge and recharge.

No problem, Kat. Now you can watch your kitty from work too.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this then be put in the apex dashboard to view? If not can a different app work. I would like to be able to see my downstairs fishtank while in bed. I have an app currently that allows me to set an old iphone as an ipcamera and it works. The ip addy is just something local like 192.168.1.108:80. I don't have the internet but would love to integrate this old iphone into my apex dashboard but candt figure out how to add just a local ip addy to the webcam area of the apex dashboard . Everytime it just reverts back to what was there before.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda away from the app this thread was about but I did finally find an app to use and got it to stream live to my apex dashboard. The app was ipcamera on itunes store and it was .99 cents. It gives you an ip address to use and I was having issues putting the ip addy into my dashboard but last night I found out how to do it so I just figured I would share for all those who might need help. Now bear in mind that I don't have internet so this is only internal and thus no port forewarding. But the way I got it to work on my dashboard was to add /live to the end of my ip addy and it works. 192.168.1.108/live and it works on my dashboard. Just figured I would put it out there for anyone else

Vanmo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres mine I just did with an old iPhone 4S.

I want it removable so for now its totally ghetto rigged with a rubber band and a stick. I am considering various arrangements with velcro, but don't want that stuck on the glass either, maybe if I was able to do a thin strip along an edge or right under that vortech.
Anyway the app seems to work flawlessly for me! The description in the app store says it includes a free trial but can't find any info on how long that lasts. But I'm more than ready to pay the $7.99 when prompted, I can see using this a lot in the future.

2wayreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow a fella on IG that makes a Reefproof' case made by a reefer for all reefers it's pretty sweet check him out murderedout150

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it set up on an old iPhone 4 lying around the house yesterday. Works great!! I would like to find a way to have this viewable on Fusion Dashboard, that would be the absoluetly awesome! Of course, I'm referring to remote access as I do have port forwarding still as a redundancy. I'll have to start looking around a bit, lol!

Thank you for posting, this is great!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back