Turn Your Old Apple Device Into A Webcam

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mention this on other sites and forgot to post it here. I recently stumbled upon an app set for Apple devices that allows me to turn any of my devices (iPhone, iPad, iMac, or even iPod) into a webcam to watch over my tank remotely. The app set is free. Essentially, the cost is free because I already had an old iPhone I do not use. More than one Apple device can be used to view from different angles. You will need two Apple devices.

The apps are called Athome Video Streamer and Athome Camera.

16225590061_e9da621910_c.jpg

16041346589_df8c256696_c.jpg

The Athome Streamer app will be used on the devices that will be your webcams. The Athome Camera app will be used on the device used to view your webcam.

Here is my tank:

16041346509_274b94d012_c.jpg

My phone is plugged in for continuous. I have this as the only app running so low risk of overheating.

The app has features such flash, switch camera (back to front lens), Mute, record, take a pic, and even Walkie Talkie.
Here is the flash feature. I am controlling the flash of my phone I am using as a webcam. Keep in mind I am out of town at the moment and my lights have just turn off according to their schedule.

16040201880_170918a378_c.jpg

The setup was pretty easy. This app is also available for Android devices. Cross platform may be available.

UPDATE-

I have used this app since 07 Jan 15. The only time the app was down was when the app server was down for maintenance. The only crash experienced was when I used the "Screen off" feature so avoid that feature.

Here is how I attached it for viewing using tape:

16289259845_43d6785696_c.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow this is awesome! I love this idea. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing this information.
You're welcome. It certainly works great for me. I like best that I am putting use to my apple products that I am not using or just sit at home when I gone. I will eventually get around to setting up my iPad mini so I can have one on my display and other on my sump. I may even set the cracked screen ipad 2 up as a 3rd view from top down somehow.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Update:

"screen off/darken feature"- Another person told me that since install, it works fine with them and doesn't crash over time. I would suggest that anyone that is wanting to use that feature to test it for various extended times before trying to use it while away.

tsatryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than make-shift an old iPod or iPhone, I picked up a drop cam to create a web cam for my tank. You can check it out here - bit.ly/CentralAoG-PastorTimsReefAquarium

Red_ant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another idea. Use the old iphone, the app and get a waterproof case for the phone. Now you have an underwater camera! You will have the hassle of charging it, but I'm sure there is a way to waterproof the cord connection too.

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. There's also this app called presence that also does the same thing turning old devices into webcams. But I upgraded to a dropcam :)

hllywd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using IP Webcam with my old HTC Incredible 2 for a couple years now. I'm not sure if it's available for IOS or not. It runs pretty stable when we're away. I have a non-slip basic silicone case on the phone and prop it up on my Magnavore against the end glass on my 210 when we're out of town. It was up for about 18 days last May/June while we were in Florida, and I was able to keep an eye on it and my Apex to make sure things ran smooth. I have not been able to integrate it with the Apex.

Oops, almost for got the link for the app... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam

Last edited:

v10king

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! Just setup on my old iPhone 4s, it works great and is really clear. Just ordered an iPhone tripid mount from Amazon for 6.99! Sweet!! Thanks again!!

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has gotten a lot of attention since the email broadcast.....:bigsmile:

Rather than make-shift an old iPod or iPhone, I picked up a drop cam to create a web cam for my tank. You can check it out here - bit.ly/CentralAoG-PastorTimsReefAquarium
It's borderline DIY and is just as effective as dropcam but the cost greatly differ. This is an alternative to an hobbyist that doesn't have $100+ to buy a webcam then have to set it up. The average consumer today has some of old apple product or old android device collecting dust. This simply gives it a purpose and gives you a piece of mind.

Here is another idea. Use the old iphone, the app and get a waterproof case for the phone. Now you have an underwater camera! You will have the hassle of charging it, but I'm sure there is a way to waterproof the cord connection too.
Algae growth would be another issue along with not being able to charge it. Most of all, possible leaking could start a whole chain of events.

Awesome. There's also this app called presence that also does the same thing turning old devices into webcams. But I upgraded to a dropcam :)
I may have come across that but I chose this app because it met all my requirements.

This is awesome! Just setup on my old iPhone 4s, it works great and is really clear. Just ordered an iPhone tripid mount from Amazon for 6.99! Sweet!! Thanks again!!
No problem. Glad you liked that app. I may need to get me one of those tripods. As you can see above, I taped my phone to my camera's tripod which I will have to use in the future.

Nice shot!

Last edited:

Boreas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to jailbreak an old iphone and load an app for Facetime that auto answers. So you Facetime with the other phone whenever you want to look at the tank. Should also save you some bandwidth/data.

bustayanky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is cool idea. My friend isn't into reefing, but he used his old iphone as a security camera at his house. Pretty good idea. He uses the Many Things app.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm setting this up as well!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another option is to jailbreak an old iphone and load an app for Facetime that auto answers. So you Facetime with the other phone whenever you want to look at the tank. Should also save you some bandwidth/data.

Thanks for the tip and welcome to R2R!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back