Aqua Controller via Raspberry PI

wolfenstein87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'd like to build my own reef controller, but it seems like everyone else is mostly doing it to control their lights; that is actually the one thing I don't care for it to do. I'd like to set it up to monitor params, maybe a webcam, and eventually control some pumps. I would like it to have a web interface and log the data. I'm no programmer, or EE, but I am tech savvy and capable of learning plus I like to tinker. Anybody out there set up one, or know where I can find the resources? I have a Raspberry PI B+ sitting at my desk collecting dust, initially bought it to run a bug tracking database but MySQL is too resource heavy for it run smoothly.

Params that I'd like to monitor:
pH
Salinity
Temp
Alk
Ca
NO3
NO2
Ammonia

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly can't offer you any advice considering I recently found out what a raspberry was. However, what I can offer is encoragement. My future son-in-law, who is an engineering student at Stevens Institute of Technology, always insults my current controllers (Reefkeepers), and implies how simple it would be to build one using a raspberry.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple yes, cost effective, not always...

Tagging along though to see your progress. Many have done it with netduino and arduino devices. So start tinkering and keep us posted ;)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along!

OP
OP
W

wolfenstein87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12g nano at work that will be my test subject before I throw it on the 105 at the house. One thing I would also like to throw in is a sensor for my top off water so that it will let me know when I need to add some more when it gets close to being empty. This feature is mostly for my work tank which I always misjudge how long that it can last over the weekend.

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will be able to monitor ALk, CA. The only things you will be able to monitor is PH, Salinity, and Temp. Also cost wise, will probably be more than buying a used reef keeper. I've looked into this a bit, but didn't seem to be worth it. If you attempt this keep us updated..

OP
OP
W

wolfenstein87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once this project starts coming together I'll be sure to post a parts list and do my best to document everything. Once its up and running I'll most likely make an image of my Pi and put it up for download so that it can be plug and play.

That water sensor is pretty neat. I wonder if it would be more accurate than most top off systems available...(maybe some functionality to build in later)

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the PI is written in C++? Can we start a project on github?

https://github.com/

We can make this a community project open source..

We can also do a netduino one if you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wolfenstein87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the PI is written in C++? Can we start a project on github?

https://github.com/

We can make this a community project open source..

We can also do a netduino one if you want.

I have the B+ with Raspbian installed right now, Pi version of Debian/Ubuntu. I need to reimage it so that it doesn't have my database data and website on it any longer. I'm not sure which language Raspbian is written in, C C++ perhaps?

Lets get a github going.

I have never messed with a netduino, need to research what that is.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
netduino runs on the Micro .net Framework and is programmed in C# which is what I write in. From what I understand you can use C or Python to code in.

I can contribute to both.

"Z"

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from a brief research of Raspberry Pi, there are many languages which can be used but it really depends on the components and if there is a library written.

SO the GCC will compile a C# program but that would be a wrapper on a C or C++ program so we should just decide on a language and go with that.

Riddler05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I have a Rasberry Pi just laying around and I have a nano tank that is running but with only a single coral so I am more then happy to test on. I just am not very EE or CS savy. But I can help as a sort of "alpha tester!"

Interested to see where this goes.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets get a list of nice to have items going and start banging out some code. this thing could be pretty slick.

OP
OP
W

wolfenstein87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the start would be to know what we will need to use to read the probes and I assume we are going to need a board outside of the Pi that we can use to connect these probes to. Seems like everybody uses an arduino board for most things but I bet once we figure out what all probes we can attach to it we can create our own PCB board. I know I have seen some instructables on how to do this with a blank pcb, a printer, and drimmel.

Setting up a website, or finding one prebuilt could be the first process.
Need to get a camera for the Pi and look into waterproofing it for maybe having an internal tank camera.
Temperature probes are very common, so I guess that is a starting point for hard ware.
I have seen the Ca probes, which are on the pricier side.
The Liquid level sensor sounds very promising for ATO monitoring.
Project box to host electrical components.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We could make this a Reef2Reef Controller project.

For instance for PH probe here you go: Atlas Scientific - pH Probe
As you can see it already has the Raspberry Pi board. however if we are wanting more than one probe this might not work.

However here are the circuit boards which we could add to a PCB.

I would recommend getting a PCB sketch and adding all the probe connections to one board and jump to each of the circuit boards. (make sense?)

The great thing about the Raspberry is you don't need a LCD display because its basically a computer and you can hook up a monitor to it.

Back